Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

K Factor

mkvcadd

Dear All,

I required answers for the following questions.

1. What is the K Factor in Sheetmetal
2. While sheet metal bend the part shows one side Red color
and Another side Green color what is the meaning of Red
Color and Green Color.

Waiting for your reply.

Please refer to the help section on sheetmetal. It is very clearly explained for "K-factor".

The green side is the Driving side. I am still on WF5 hence do not know what the red side means unless it is the obvious driven side.

everyone has a different set of K factors they use based on their material and conditions. I have done some extensive calculation and testing of various metals to come up with some baselines that work well. I worked with Amada and Wilson Tool to verify the math and the test. We all came up with the same. And has been proved out over 5 years.

We use K factor of .435 for mild steel (C1010 etc.) and most stainless (304 etc.). We use .385 for most bendable aluminum (ie 5052 etc). This is for air bending in uncoated die/punch sets with material thickness bends. Works without adjustment for us on materials .312 and thinner. Special cases where the bend distance from the edge of the part is within 5 times the radius, neoprene coated dies, coining, or springy material may need adjustment and should have a prove out part bent.

Hope this gives you a place to start.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back