Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

ProE Wildfire 2.0

wmarques

i have a user that is using wildfire 2.0 on a windows xp machine. i am the IT guy and he's telling me that in some cases when he saves a drawing and then shuts his computer down that the drawing has changed when he starts the computer back up and re-opens the drawing. we have no other users that would even be able to open these drawing files. they are saved out on a network drive. has anyone had any experience with this issue? i'm not much help when it comes to drafting software so i thought maybe you guys could point me in the right direction. thanks

Has he modified the model? Pro/E is associative, the drawing just shows views of the model so if it has been changed then the drawing will reflect that.

he will work on the drawing for several hours and then save the drawing and shutdown the computer. then he's telling me that when he reopens the drawing the next day that decimal places and radius settings have changed from the day before.

When he saves the drawing, does the drawing get saved or does the error message show in the status bar saying the drawing could not be saved? Does he have write access to the folder from where pulls the drawing? If the session window is then closed, changes made to the drawing or the model won't be saved.

i had him try saving some drawings and all of them said saved successfully. i also went through and changed all of the folder permissions for him to full access. any other suggestions are welcome.

If his local.dbb file has grown to 2gb in size, the system will not allow further changes to be made to his data (and it's not obvious). If the file is 2gb in size, check in all his work, and delete the .proi directory. This will solve the problem.

Note: Any work not check in will be lost...

i searched his entire hard drive for any files with a .dbb extension and any files over 1Gb and couldn't find anything. where would the local.dbb file be on his machine?

ok so as i'm reading what little bit of information i can find on the internet i think a few things are becoming clear. first, this is a standalone install, it does not use the intralink software to connect to a server. he has no .dbb or .ddb files on his computer nor does he have a the .proi directory. is there any other file that could be causing problems since its just a local install and evidently doesn't use the files mentioned above?

First put drawing and model into the same folder and make this folder his working dir.
Then modify the drawing and save.
Depending an what he does you will get a new drawing and a new model (version + 1) as some actions in drawing will be saved in the model (e.g. adding ISO tolerances to dimensions). ProE will save objects to the folders from which they were loaded.
Clear memory or restart ProE and reload the drawing.
My suspicion is he has multiple instances of the same model in different folders.
If he opens a drawing the model will be loaded too.
The load sequence is
- memory
- working dir
- search paths in the order they are written.
Once the model is found, ProE loads it.
I think ProE loads an outdated model to his drawing.
HTH
Reinhard

That's possible ReinhardN but only if he is opening the the file differently between sessions. For instance, he would have to be using different working directory or load a different search path file. If he did it exactly the same thing each time, it should find the same file each time.

Never the less, it's a very bad idea to have multiple copies of files with the same name in different directories as it can lead to operator confusion.

I have a drawing file that just started doing something similar. There are two dimensions that move. Whats really weird is if you erase the drawing and model from session and then open the drawing it looks fine. You can repaint the screen and update all the views and it still looks fine. The dimensions only show up out of place if you plot the drawing. You can plot to a printer, a file or just the screen and those two dimensions move. If you try to pick them you find they are not where they appear on the screen, they are where they plot. I have repeatedly moved them to a snap line, printed the drawing, saved it and reopened it and the behavior repeats. Only this file, I have thousands of files that don't do this, never seen it before. This is a pretty new file too, only created the part last week.

I'm going to open a call with PTC.

Well, I wanted wmarques to exclude simple errors first as users can be ingenious.
I had jumping centerlines in broken views too.
Reinhard

I've seen this before. The drawing is corrupt. Delete the view and show the dimiensions again. I believe this will fix it.

dr_gallup said:
I have a drawing file that just started doing something similar. There are two dimensions that move. Whats really weird is if you erase the drawing and model from session and then open the drawing it looks fine. You can repaint the screen and update all the views and it still looks fine. The dimensions only show up out of place if you plot the drawing. You can plot to a printer, a file or just the screen and those two dimensions move. If you try to pick them you find they are not where they appear on the screen, they are where they plot. I have repeatedly moved them to a snap line, printed the drawing, saved it and reopened it and the behavior repeats. Only this file, I have thousands of files that don't do this, never seen it before. This is a pretty new file too, only created the part last week.

I'm going to open a call with PTC.

PTC found that the snap lines of all things were causing my problem. Deleted 2 of the snap lines and the 2 problem dimensions behave. Makes no sense, usually snap lines are very helpful in keeping dimensions where they belong. Anyway, it's fixed.

Interesting!

I have seen weird things happen after deleting snap lines, but never recurring errors like this. Thanks for the update.

-Rebo

It is also possible that the config setting for saving is not set to cause the model to be saved with the drawing.

It's set to save modified objects only. Should not matter as if the model was changed it will save and if it was not changed then it won't save which is fine because there is no difference.

We (almost) never make dims or gtols in the drawing and if we do they are saved in the drawing.

My dims are saved with the model.
If the config option is wrong, it will save the drawing but not the model.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back