Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Can’t export to STL

Atropos89

I'm trying to export an assembly to STL. Some of the components in the assembly do not show up in the resultant STL file. If I try to export just those component parts to STL, the STL option does not show up in the "type" box on the Save As window.

Any idea why these files can't be exported as STLs? There is no difference in sources between the different files in this assembly. They are all import data from Inventor.

I have had models with bad geometry (small slivers, funny
radii) not export to STL, then also depends on chord height
and angle control ... we use smallest number for chord
height and 1 for angle control, this gives best model for
rapid prototyping

My workaround in these situations (no idea why they occur, but they do) is to create a STEP file of the assembly then import that STEP file back into Pro/E as an assembly. Then you should be able to create the STL file from the new STEPed assembly.

The parts have to be solid to be output to stl. If these were imported there is a good chance that they are surface parts with holes and not solid.

Thanks for the advice guys (I've switched to OBJ with the same results)-

It looks like the problem parts are not solid. Good call on that. These are all released products, so one would think they'd all be solid. Anyway, do any of you have advice on how to solidify the surface parts?Solidify isn't showing up when I select the part. it's acting like the part isn't a closed surface, but I am pretty sure it is.

BTW, the parts in questions are screws.

When you view the part in wireframe mode it should be magenta in color. The problem edges will be yellow. These areas are the ones to focus on. You have to modify the part with "Import Data Doctor". Go to the help center for more information on how to use IDD. Good luck.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back