Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Change File "Type Description"

Atropos89

I'm trying to change the text that displays under "type" in Windows Explorer. This is what I currently see:

View attachment 5660

I would like to change this so instead of saying "Creo Pro Versioned File" it says "Creo Part" for parts, "Creo Drawing" for drawings, etc. Is there a way to easily do this? Is it controlled through Windows or through Creo?
Edited by: Atropos89

You can't do that - primarily because the actual extension is a number (ie filename.prt.1 or filename.drw.1).

I easily did that back when we were running Pro/E on Hewlett-Packard Unix boxes. HP-UX could look at other file name attributes than just the extension after the last dot. No way Mr. Bill will ever give us that much flexibility.

robertib said:
You can't do that - primarily because the
actual extension is a number (ie filename.prt.1 or
filename.drw.1).

Yes you can do that but windows would be a lot better if it
allowed wildcards like ".abc.*" in the file name settings.
Of course it takes 3 times the work of just associating .1 -
.100 as just the extension number to using the
.asm.1-100
.drw.1-100
.prt.1-100

Think about it Is "DRW.#" not a file extension, windows
does not prevent dots from being a part of the extension?
Image1

You can type anything that is a possible file extension in
when creating a new file type in Folder options or
wherever that went in Win.7

When creating a new file type make sure to click on the
Advanced Tab/Button image1b and choose one of
the existing
Pro/E CreO file types "PTC ???? Document" that matches
your (.sec.#, .asm.#, .prt.#, .drw.#) type
After doing so you can edit the FileType description
image2which is not possible if created without
selecting file type from list. Otherwise you'll get what you
entered as file extension as the type.
Image1b
Image2

Saving the .## type alone is what gives the Pro/E
Versioned File "File Type" option because it sets any file
with .## to
open with Pro/E without including the specific type.

After setting proe as program to open with you can add
specific actions for file type to open with a specific
version of the program as shown in image3 & Image

Image3
Image4

Now these settings can be set manually using the registry
to export one of the file types you can possibly have a .reg
file you can run to merge the appropriate file type settings
into each company workstation.

Michael
trajpar@@Twit Tur .C
Edited by: mjcole_ptc

Looks like I'm going to need to use the Registry to control this. I can't find a way in Win7 to add a new file extension, or even rename a current one. With the registry it'll have the added bonus of being a change that is easily pushed out to the whole company. The last time I used the registry was at least eight years ago. I had almost forgotten about it. Thanks for the great idea!
Edited by: Atropos89

<div id="swiffout"></div>Windows Explorer is the worst file manager ever. It doesn't even have the option display the real file extension instead of the 'file type', which makes sorting the view by extension impossible.

I love Total Commander. It's so much better and e.g. has the option to define custom columns view where you can define custom file types and sort accordingly.
E.g. I can sort by DRW od PRT regardless of the number at the end
smiley32.gif
. It also allows for natural sorting, so ABCD.DRW.87 comes before ABCD.DRW.114.

That looks very interesting. How is the search functionality? Win7 search is completely useless. I always leery of 3rd party add ins like that though. How many things does it break?

I'm looking into Total Commander now. It looks very full-featured. Unfortunately, it'd take an act of God to convince IT to install it at the workplace, but I look forward to messing around with it on my home computer.

<div id="swiffout"></div>There are several free alternatives to Total Commander (TC), the most well known is probably Free Commander. Just try a few. I don't know if any other utilities have custom columns view functionality.

Although in my opinion, TC is by far the best. Some reasons are that it has a great renaming utility, directory sync tool and is very easily configurable and has good support. there are also -lots- of very good plugins available!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back