Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creo vs ProE, comparison?

bry593

How does Creo compare with ProE? Is it easier to use (quicker, more efficient)? Does it have a 2D layout package? Does it accurately translate old ProE files?

I have seen "Direct Modeling Express", but it does not have a 2D layout package. Does the full version include this tool?

Full disclosure: I am a PTC employee.

Our metrics comparing Creo Parametric 2.0 to Wildfire 5.0 show about a 40% reduction in mouse clicks, mouse travel, and time for part modeling including sketcher.

The interface has changed from drop-down menus to the standard Microsoft ribbons. They take some time to get used to, but there's a Command Search icon in the upper right hand corner to find what you need. Also, the Learning Connector provides immediate access to Help and Videos (typically 2-5 minutes) on how to use commands and tools.

There is a 2D Layout package called Creo Layout, which can be used as the basis for generating 3D geometry. (The old "Layouts" used in Top Down Design are now called "Notebooks.")

All Pro E files dating back to around version 17 or so (late 1990s)can beopened directlyinto Creo Parametric without any issues (or need to convert or translate).

Hope this helps...

So now the number of mouse clicks is about the same as WF3?

There was an appreciable increase in the number of clicks from WF3 to WF4.

Ribbon interfaces have no place in CAD, they use up valuable screen real estate that should be available for graphics. This is why our company will never move off of WF4.

Don't worry, just about the time MS makes ribbon interface usable they will abandon it for the next bad idea.

dross - get yourself a bigger monitor or two - preferably
16:10 - the extra height is for the ribbon -
smiley2.gif

Hi,

Just saw the question about comparisons of Creo Parametric and Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire. We've posted some head to head comparison videos for a number of key areas like sketching, sheet metal design, freeform design, here:

http://www.ptc.com/product/creo/creo-proe-customer.htm

Under the section heading 'Moving from Pro/ENGINEER to Creo Parametric.

We compare and contrast the two releases, as well as highlight time savings of adopting Creo Parametric.

I hope you find these useful.

Best Regards,
Geoff Hedges
PTC

moriarty said:
dross - get yourself a bigger monitor or two - preferably
16:10 - the extra height is for the ribbon -
smiley2.gif

I do use two monitors. Larger monitors don't stretch the form factor to give you more height than width. The ribbons use up the vertical height, not the horizontal.

2012-06-13_164355_creo2.0.JPG
dross.

We are currently using WF4.0 but are testing Creo2.0. The Ribbon can be hidden (ctrl F1)so that you have more vertical real estate than WF 4.0. It then works like autohide for the windows taskbar so that when you go over it or click it the menu/ribbon drops down. I attached a screenshot so you can see how much more space you have if you use the autohide option.

You really should give Creo a chance asyou may be surprized at a lot of the new capabilities that have been integrated into it (as I am).

Is the menu bar that has the clickable icons customizable? Can you add commands to it? Can you put any on the side or does everything have to be at the top?

The Icons in the top left are called the quick access tool bar and it looks like you can add anything you want to it. you just right click any command and select add to quick qccess toolbar or remove if it is already there. In the screenshot above I added the erase from session icons (although I will probably create mapkeys to do that once we make the switch). I don't know if it has a limit as to how many icons can be put there.
These icons can be moved to below the ribbon menu location but that doesn't gain any more real estate. I haven't found if it can be put in other places. Anyone else know the answer to this?

The icons on the floating toolbar in the center (where the datums and other viewing options are) are also customizable. I have seen it done but don't actually remember how they did it so maybe someone else can provide that information...?
This floating toolbar can be moved to other locations.

The ribbon itself looks customizable, although I have not yet played around with it to find out to what extent.

what I noticed about quick access bar is not common, solid behaviour(content) in all of Creo modules.

In example: it is enough to switch from Part modeling to Assembly mode to have different content of Quick Access Bar. Even if you struggle as I did to tune it in Assembly window too, you will be suprised again when Activating any part directly in Assembly window. And guess what? Quick access bar won`t turn to settings configured in Part Modeling mode. No, no - it turns out, activating a part switch on different environment:)))

a lot to to tune, and I am lack of patience to do that.

Still Creo and Creo 2.0 - gathered a lot of credit from my side. If it is up to me, I would not switch back to WF 4.0

Creo is not a REVOLUTION, it still can render some problems invoking significant design flaws, and Creo for sure still hasn`t and won`t alter CAD market.

But it is an evolution in desired direction[you call me Creo fan boy
smiley2.gif
]

Edited by: muadib3d

Thanks for the heads up on the customization problems.

Does anyone out there know of a way around that so that if the part interface is customized then the asm will match it?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back