Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Can not change family table dimension of

We just switched from WF2 to WF4.

This used to work in WF2 but does not work in WF4.

We have a family table part (wires) where we are driving length of the wire in assembly.

Assembly relation: wire_length:4=5

Dimension 'wire_length' is in family table.

If I remove the relation and try to change it manually in the assembly, I get following waning message.

" This dimension is table driven - please confirm family table modification."

Is there an config option to bypass that?

Common and correct practice is to change required dimension in generic model only.Don't touch any instance part directly for editing.As you trying to change that variable dimension in instance that worning comes.

You shouldn't have both a relation and a family table entry. If it needs to change with the instance, a relation should be made to follow something in the instance, or remove the relation and make the change in the family table. Othewise, the value will be update in the order in which it's regenerated. I believe, family table then relation. The relation will override the family table entry.

View attachment 5654

Before you guys jump into conclusion of what I should do and shouldn't do.
Let me explain what we have and what we've been doing for years using WF2 and older versions.

One of our group designs tooling (clamps to hold down lead frames during wire bonding).
We model customer's lead frame and we add wires to aid design of tooling.
Same wires are used in different lead frames requiring different wire lengths and down-sets.
These wires are family table parts and we drive wire lengths and down-sets dimension (which are family table dimensions) at lead frame assembly level.

There may be a better way of doing this but we been doing this for many years and we have hundreds of these lead frame assemblies we don't want to change.

My task is to find a way to have this work as it used to.

Thanks,
Charles

Edited by: charleskim

You have to ignore that warning if you want to change instance dimension in asm.I don't think there is any way to bypass that warning message.
You don't want to change the way you handle this.But, just for information: you can control wire length in different assemblies by making wire flexible in asm.By that way you will get rid of family table & relations.Drawback is you won't have parametric wire dwg for all instances (I don't think you need dwg for these wires)

Sachin,
I'm not concerned about the warning. I get the warning when I remove the relation and try to change the dimension manually.

Ultimately, I want to drive the dimension with assembly relations.

Also I have hundreds of these assemblies which I do not want to change and this used to work in WF2 and older version.
I need to find a way to make this work in WF4.

Charles

If you are driving length by assembly relations, Why do u want to change it manually?
Whether you keep or remove relations, this warning will come anyway when u modify instance dim.
Or may be I understood wrong what u want to do.

I'm not changing it manually.
I just removed the relations temporally to see the warning message.

Like I said, I want to and I used to drive these wire length dimension with assembly relations.

Thanks,
Charles

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back