Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Methods of updating ProE

florinfaur

How do you ensure that all the users are using the same ProE datacode?

Right now I'm sending an email to everybody with a link for the
installation package and instructions on how to update. But not
everybody is doing that and there are users that have not updated for
more than a year.

Try SCCM from Microsoft or other software deployment packages like hyena software, that will help you deploy packages to all users.

Install the software on a file server. Everyone upgrades automatically between builds that you put out there.

For new versions, build a batch file that does the update to , depending on how many versions you have running. If you have a PDM system, most of them require that all local workspaces be deleted before updating the CAD version.

Looslib,

Thank you for your response.

Nobody likes to update because it is time consuming. You have to manually add the
license servers, then you have to manually do some manual configurations, and then
you have to wait for 20 min. When everything is done, you have to open your
ProE shortcuts and change the "Start in" value to the desired working
directory.

In other places they solved this problem by installing the new datacode on a computer then copy it to all
of them. In my case it is difficult to manage installations for XP and Win7
both on 32 and 64 bit. While this approach might work on pre Creo
installations, with Creo 2 (maybe Creo 1 is the same) the installation is done
in a folder with the name of the datacode: %ProE install point%\Creo 2.0\Common
Files\F001\

I tried to install using the trial file, but it has problems. PTC is working on
an SPR regarding it, but I would like to have other options.

I forgot to mention that we are using ProE 5 (going to use Creo 2) w/o Windchill.

Edited by: florinfaur

florinfaur said:
Amit,
It is not about a software that I wrote, it is about the ProE itself.
florinfaur,

I too am talking about pro/e. I have used SCCM & Hyena both to deploy pro/e , Intralink & lots of other softwares on user's machines in my earlier company.

SCCM can be used to deploy Pro/E to your users automatically. However, it isn't cheap to buy and it does require you to build an install package to do the installs. We had it at another company and IT only had 3 people that knew how to configure the SCCM scripts. IT supported almost 6000 users at 2 sites. The one time they did write an ib=nstallation script for AutoCAD, it took them 3 months. In that time, I manually installed 200 copies of Wildfire.

Creo can still be installed on a server. I have a batch file that my users run to setup their icons to launch WF/Creo from the server. I only have to change 1 line to have my users running a new build code. They only run the setup batch file when we change versions of SW.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back