Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

question on entry ports

D3syn3rMike

[Slowly] teaching myself cabling and the help files state that Entry Ports must havethe parameter Cable_type defined as WIRE, ROUND, or FLAT. What is ROUND? I've been looking all over the help files but ROUND turns up nothing useful in the Index nor Search. In fact, Entry Ports are not listed in the Index. Strange don't you think?

Also, I don't understand the Int_length parameter. Is that an internal length? If so, why must it be an integer?

I'm sure I'll have other questions, but can anyone answer either of these?

Mike,
I believe the two parameters for internal length are def_internal_length & Internal_len. Both are real numbers. In cable the def_internal_length is the length of the wire inside the connector until it is terminated.

ROUND allows multiple wires to attach to a single CSYS designated as an entry port in cable. WIRE allows only one and FLAT fans wires out from a single entry port to simulate multiple entry ports.

jef

Thanks for your response, Jef. I assume ROUND was a carry-over from earlier versions, where now they refer to WIRE, CABLE, and FLAT, where CABLE can have multiple conductors.

I think the problem is the help files. DEF_INTERNAL_LENGTH and INT_LENGTH are the only two listed as cabling parameters, with no clear explanation of how they're supposed to be used, and both are listed as integer. Unfortunately, theDEF_INTERNAL_LENGTH parameteris not available to mein any cabling component in the Electrical Parameters dialogue box. Only INT_LENGTH is available for ENTRY_PORTS.

In a harness and cable I made up yesterday, I went ahead and changed the INT_LENGTH for one entry port and deliberately made it a real number, but I didn't get any error messages, andI didn't notice any difference in the 3D cable, so I'm not sure how that parameter is useful or helpful.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back