Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to buy Pro/E?

Nomand

Hi, everybody.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I was looking for some PTC representative in <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Toronto</st1:City>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">Canada</st1:country-region></st1:place> to inquire about pricing for Wildfire 4.0 for personal and commercial use and shockingly found myself stuck

hfd36jtb said:
Nomand,

I suggest for you to go to http://www.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/partners/resellers/search. jsp and put in your information. I think you will, at the very least, find some help.

Thanks.

John
Thanks, John
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I did that. For one thing it does not give you Pro/E. Only that Creo thing. Nevertheless I called couple of companies listed for <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Canada</st1:place></st1:country-region> and Creo. Got answering machines.

It

Nomand,

If you contact Tristar, for example, they will be able to quote the software to you since they are a reseller. There other companies out there that can sell it as well. The other option is to call PTC directly to find out who your sales representative is.

If you need additional assistance, let me know.

Thanks.

John

Current product is Creo, not WF4. Once you have Creo you can run any older version (within limits) you want. Once you contact a few resellers you will not be able to beat them off with a stick.

Can anyone tell me what the limitations of the WF5 personal version are compared to the commercial software?

Edited by: marshall7927

The differences are:
The student and/or personal use versions cannot save the file in a commercial version format. I believe the student version also creates a watermark on every sheet of a drawing, indicating "STUDENT VERSION".

Bob Schwerdlin
Design Engineer,
Dukane Corp.

Thanks for the responses guys. Dukane huh? You know a guy by the name of Mark Hentschel? I worked with him at my former employer that I just left about 7 weeks ago now. He used to work at Dukane. Don't know if you guys were there at the same time.

Anyway, got another question. I am trying very hard to find a way that I can get access to the commercial version of Pro/E. Two main reasons:

1. My current employer uses AutoDesk Inventor. I am going for the training next week. I don't mind much but I want to keep my Pro/E skills sharp.

2. I want to try and drum up some design work on the side and I need the commercal software to do that. Doesn't have to be Creo. I figure I could get by with anything WF3 or later.

If anyone who has their own license is willing to partner up and share a license, or if PTC still allows you to "Rent" licenses for 6-12 months whatever it is maybe we can work something out. I would need to be able to load Pro/E onto my laptop and then access the license remotely.

If anyone has any thoughts on another way that I can get access to commercial software legally (aside from paying full list price of course) please chime in.

marshall7927... Mark Hentschel was an ultrasonics application engineer here, but he's been gone for at least 6 years. I started here 5 years ago, so I don't know him personally. I design vibration welding and hot plate plastic weld tooling, along with a small amount of ultrasonics.

Bob Schwerdlin
Design Engineer
Dukane Corp.

Hey Bob: Just currious, is there a difference between Ultrasonc welding and Vibration welding?

Also, my i2 studentversion printed "STUDENT VERSION, NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE" all around the drawing, in addition to the filing restrictions. I'm trying to remember, I think I could print to a PDF file and not have the "water mark"...

As an aside; take a look at nebraska republic (one word) dot org and pick on "WATCH VIDEO".

Roger...

Vibration welding and ultrasonic welding are both methods of assembling plastic parts without using screws, glue, fasteners or molded-in snap features. Both processes work by friction welding of the intended two parts.

With ultrasonic welding, you capture one component part in a "lower nest" to prevent the part from any movement whatsoever. The mating part sits on top of the lower nest seated part and "floats" freely. Next, an ultrasonic horn that matches the outer contour of the upper part moves to make contact with the part and then a piezo-electric quartz crystal "transducer" (with various mechanical amplifiers) vibrate up and down at a typical rate of 20KHz. The two parts are literally hammered together to form a permanent, hermetic, water tight weld seal. The movement of the transducer is very small - only microns of an inch at a time. Because of the 20KHz hammer blows moving microns at a time, it only takes 0.25 - 1.00 seconds to weld most parts together with a permanent weld. Parts up to about 10" x 10" are good candidates.

With vibration welding, the process is completely different. Imagine it's winter time and your hands are cold. You rub your hands together and it creates friction and heat to warm your fingers. It's the same concept with vibration welding. Like ultrasonic welding, one of the two parts is held in position by a lower nest or base fixture. The mating part floats on top and then the weld machine begins to cycle. First, the lower nest is attached to a lift table that only moves up and down. Nest, the paired components make contact with an "upper nest" in the machine. The upper nest is 3-D contour machined to match the plastic parts. There is typically knurls on the ends of the upper nest tooling and these knurls are used to "drive" the upper plastic part back and forth, side to side (L-R). This is accomplished in the machine because it has VERY large electro-magnets that pulse +/-, +/- over and over again at a typical speed of 240 Hz. As the lower lift table moves up and makes contact with the moving upper "head" of the machine, the parts literally vibrate together. Parts up to 80" x 30" are good candidates.

Take a look here:
http://www.dukane.com/us/default.htm

Let me know if you need any additional details.

Bob Schwerdlin
Design Engineer
Dukane Corp.

Thanks Bob:

I have designed parts that were to be ultrasonicly welded, however, I didn't really understand the vertical motion part. Just that the little energy "ampliphier" would melt and create the weld. Very effective.

Not sure I understand the vibration welding process. Not really important at the moment.

As an aside, open nebraska republic (one word)dot org and pick on "WATCH VIDEO". Let me know what you think; [email protected]

Hey Cheesewhiz: The more people we can get to sign up for the Republic, the sooner we get our Country turned around.

I realize this is "not the place" to talk about this, however, the word needs to get out!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back