Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Workgroup Manager Lockup

Atropos89

Happy New Year everyone!

I am trying to import Inventor data into our new installation of Windchill using Workgroup Manager. Previously, WGM worked fine. Starting today, however, it locks up immediately after I log on to the Windchill server. Here's what happens - I launch Inventor, which launches WGM with it. After a while, they both open. I go to WGM and click "Workspace". It pops up with the Windchill login. I enter my user name and password, andWGM promptly locks up. It is a weird kind of crash - the program is completely unresponsive. I can't move the window, minimize it, or anything else. But task manager never shows it as not responding, and the window never fades to white. Inventor responds fine during this time. If I don't log in to Windchill on WGM, I can navigate the menu structure fine and the program doesn't seem to have any issues.

I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the Windchill server because I can log on using the browser fine. Everything seems to work from IE, but WGM keeps crashing. I've tried multiple times, with a few reboots thrown in. Any ideas what is causing this?

Specs:
Win7 64 bit
Windchill 10.0 M020
Inventor 2012
Workgroup Manager 10.0 M020

Just confirmed that this problem is not unique to me. This is also happening on other computers in our company. I'll update again if we find one that works.

Ok, this seems to be happening to everybody. Also, the Creo Parametric browser locks up upon Windchill login as well. So the only method of accessing Windchill is through Internet Explorer.

There may have been an IE9 update over the weekend - could this break the WGM and Creo browser, but leave IE9 functional? We're running IE 9.0.3 right now. I'm going togo seeif this update was applied over the weekend.

UPDATE: Not everybody is having the problem, only about half of our engineers.
Edited by: Atropos89

We "fixed" the problem by rebooting the Windchill server. It is unknown at the moment what failed over the weekend to cause this, but I'll update this post when I find out more.

We had the TriStar guys on site today to figure out what went wrong with out Windchill server. They say our backup script had a problem that cause half of our users to not be able to access the system. This same script has been running since we first installed Windchill last year. We all agree that this explanation is pretty shaky, but it's the best we've got. I was hoping for a better solution that I could share for others, but it seems this is all we have for now.

If anyone else has a better explanation, please speak up!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back