Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Edit Default Coordinate System

Julienr69

Hi all,

I have searched the web and the mcad forum as well without finding any answer.

I need to redefine the orientation of the Default Coordinate System in an assembly.
It is possible to do so?
If yes, how?
The goal is to be able to assemble it in the global machine always by default and having the correct position and orientation. Of course I would like to not have to redo all my assembly.

I know how to create a default coordinate system, but ProE does not let me the choice to orientate it.

I am on WF3. (we go on WF5 in one month, is it possible there?)

Thanks in advance for your answers !
Julien.

Ok I was almost sure it was not possible but still you have hope you know...

Delete it and redo it does not change anything, Proe remake it exactly at the same place and orientation and does not allow you to change it.

Anyway, we will use one of these two solutions:
- create another assembly above, which contain our assembly at the correct position.
- redefine all the items of the assembly to make them oriented correctly.

Thanks,
Julien

I never understood why the default CSYS orients the way it does. It assumes you are in math class and graphing things where X and Y are in the plane of the paper and Z comes at you. In the real world CNC machines have X and Y on the horizontal plane with Z going up and down. Once I realized this I never used the default CSYS again. There is a properly positioned CSYS in the start part I always use. Shouldn't a default be what you use most of the time?

It orients the way it does because it's the standard for all things in 3D space, all cad systems as well as the math standard. If you deviate from the standard it may cause confusion for those outside of your machining realm. Generally you create a machine coordinate system specifically for machining depending on the orientation required. If you want the part oriented differently relative to the coordinate system, model it that way using the default coordinate system. It's just a coordinate system. How you build on off it is really what matters.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back