Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wish I could go back to Wildfire

nracingdev

Finally convinced my company to invest in a seat of proE. I have used Wildfire 4.0 for a number of years now. I felt like I was quite proficient with it and now after "upgrading" (read shot in foot) to Creo 1.0 am finding myself wishing I never would have done it.

Everything seems to take longer. The GUI is not efficient at all and I am really struggling with this migration. Does anyone have any recommendations to ease this transition?

Also, the "learning connector" is not available for Creo 1.0 yet. The knowledge base has virtually no information directed toward Creo specifically and seems so out of date with screen shots and articles dating back to pre-wildfire releases. What is the point in spending the ridiculous cost on a maintenance package when it isn't even relevant.

Very disheartened and disgusted.
Chris
smiley18.gif

Edited by: nracingdev

Chris

that is the case - when one is very proficient within strict software revision and then there is a switch to something more updated, natural resistance appear.

I can only advise to give Creo a little bit more patience and time - it won`t pay back in efficiency or productivity;) but it would give a plain new taste of dealing with software and I think Pro/e has diserved that for all this long time of maintaining crapy Unix style environment.

just my two cents

I often see the "upgrades" as the Tail waggin the Dog. If there are no changes in the software howwould they sell training?Change for the sake of change.

People can talk productivity all they want.At the end of the day was there increased revenue at your company, and was it ever posted in the CEO annual report that it was the cad software that accounted for 10% growth this year? I seriously doubt it.

That said, it will never change.
Edited by: FishNut

Absolutely the worst software upgraade I have ever had to endure and my livelyhood depends on it.

It wasn't broke but they tried to fix it.

nracingdev said:
Finally convinced my company to invest in a seat of proE. I have used Wildfire 4.0 for a number of years now. I felt like I was quite proficient with it and now after "upgrading" (read shot in foot) to Creo 1.0 am finding myself wishing I never would have done it.

Everything seems to take longer. The GUI is not efficient at all and I am really struggling with this migration. Does anyone have any recommendations to ease this transition?

Also, the "learning connector" is not available for Creo 1.0 yet. The knowledge base has virtually no information directed toward Creo specifically and seems so out of date with screen shots and articles dating back to pre-wildfire releases. What is the point in spending the ridiculous cost on a maintenance package when it isn't even relevant.

Very disheartened and disgusted.
Chris
smiley18.gif

There's no reason you have to use Creo now. Your license will allow it, but you can download and install WF5, WF4 or earlier. You can download all the way back to release 2001 and your license should serve them all.

once you get back on your feet with Pro/E, your company is comfortable with it and PTC gets Creo a bit more stable and fleshed out, you can move up.

Personally,I like what I see in Creo, but think with such a big change there's likely a lot of issues. Run into a few myself already. I'd just as soon let the dust settle before using it, but one of our big customers is planning a move to Creo 1.0 in Q1 2012.

dgs said:
There's no reason you have to use Creo now. Your license will allow it, but you can download and install WF5, WF4 or earlier. You can download all the way back to release 2001 and your license should serve them all.

once you get back on your feet with Pro/E, your company is comfortable with it and PTC gets Creo a bit more stable and fleshed out, you can move up.

Personally,I like what I see in Creo, but think with such a big change there's likely a lot of issues. Run into a few myself already. I'd just as soon let the dust settle before using it, but one of our big customers is planning a move to Creo 1.0 in Q1 2012.

Absolutely he can run WF4 or whatever. However, any work done in Creo will have to be redone. That could be a deal breaker.

I never ever jump into a new release without lots of testing. I like staying well behind the bleeding edge. There is nothing to be gained and a lot to lose by upgrading too soon. We just transitioned from WF2 to WF4 a few months ago. The only compelling reason for that is WF2 is completely unsupported at this point. Have no intention to ever use WF5. Will have to jump to Creo eventually, probably wait for 2 or 3.

Not necessarily,get the CGRI plugin off PTC's web site and you should be able to open Creo files with WF5 and perhaps WF4.

As I have said here several times, I have WF2 on my home computer. Designed a new table saw on it, to include details. Not a problem!

Is there a reason we need "suport"?

Roger said:
As I have said here several times, I have WF2 on my home computer. Designed a new table saw on it, to include details. Not a problem!

Is there a reason we need "suport"?
Not until you have a problem!

My biggest complaint would have to be the white background. Does
anyone know how to make it a color gradient like wf4? The white
really hurts my eyes

dr_gallup:

I have been using WF2 since I bought the license in '06. Not a problem. A couple admin things, but my VAR,Coldfire in Fargo,has been super about helping me with them.

nracingdev:

Are you not able to find "System Colors" under "View"? WF2 allows me to change it all to what ever I like.

Roger, yes I can find the screen. There
is no choice for the wildfire color
scheme. I have tried to find a similar
color but there is no option that i can
find for "use blended background"

still, I consider Creo not as revolution inside Pro/E world, but as evolution, with big, significant step forward.

In addition, I agree with dr_gallup to be aside of switching to it until stable version comes up. I consider this in following way - if one workes heavily on complex drawings(many curves, curves entities, surfaces, quilts, hidden on appropriaye layers, and so forth), Creo 1.0 M010 could make you bleed long;) I tried it.

but if you deal with relative less complex 2D documention and more with 3D models, switch is worth the effort.

Edited by: muadib3d

I don't feel changing menus and name is a CAD revolution
either. Can someone give me two or three enhancements in
the drawing module? I heard there were over 700 in Creo. I
cannot see anything new right off so I am staying with WF3.
The way PTC went with simp rep menus is ridiculous, now I
have to hit a check box every time to select a model from
screen? There must be another way?

I use a drawing board and its great - some other people
have electric pencil sharpeners but I just use a knife -
why would I want to change

I use AutoCAD and cant see why you would want to use
anything else its so easy to use - I love the cross hair
cursor, its like shooting rabbits

I come from China, there were 250,000 engineering
graduates in my class this year - Ill use any software I
can to get my cheap product to you wealthy westerners.

You guys need to get with the program - you cant keep
driving your vintage cars on the motorway
smiley4.gif

Edited by: moriarty

moriarty said:
I use a drawing board and its great - some other people

have electric pencil sharpeners but I just use a knife -

why would I want to change

I use AutoCAD and cant see why you would want to use

anything else its so easy to use - I love the cross hair

cursor, its like shooting rabbits

I come from China, there were 250,000 engineering

graduates in my class this year - Ill use any software I

can to get my cheap product to you wealthy westerners.

You guys need to get with the program - you cant keep

driving your vintage cars on the motorway
smiley4.gif

We sell our vintage American parts to China.
smiley32.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back