Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Start Parts and Copy Associated Drawings

Atropos89

I'm trying to set up a start part in Windchill. I'd like to use the "Copy associated drawings" feature when creating a new part. This is my understanding of that feature:

If we have a start part called "startpart.prt" and a drawing called "startpart.drw", and startpart.drw references startpart.prt, when I make a new file using startpart.prt called test.prt, it should also create test.drw that references test.prt.

Unfortunately, test.drw still references startpart.prt.Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Not with Creo 1.0. Which Windchill column are you going by that is the same for both the part and drawing? It should be the File Name column.

Can youlist your Windchill menu selections? I think I'm misuderstanding how you're creating the new part and drawing.

Creating a new part and drawing isn't done through Windchill. We have the start part referenced in our config files, so when the user clicks "new part" in creo, they are directed to use STARTPART as the default template. It's just that we want the start part and start part drawing to live on Windchill rather thana network location. I appreciate the help!

If you work with the files locally does it work? Unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce the result you're seeing but I'm using WF5. I get the same behavior in my testsworking with Windchill and working locally.

I originally was working on this over Windchill, but am trying to get it working locally at the moment. So I've made sure both the file name and common name are the same (well, the same minus the extension). I have a student copy of WF5 at home. I'll try to get it working there, and will let you know how it goes.Thanks for all your help!

I'm seeing the same result with WF5. After messing around with Creo some more, I am still getting a drawing that is copied, but it still references the original startpart. I'm also communicating with PTC at the moment, so we'll see where that goes.

It sounds to me like you have some sort of Windchill relationship between the .prt and drw templates. You don't needto have a relationship between the two templates.

The only time you need to have a relationship is if the .prt template is in the .drw file but you would need some initial features and have place the .prt into the .drw template.

I think the Windchill relationship may be causing the issue.

I haven't set anything relating the two in Windchill. I just made my startpart, then made a drawing of it using our drawing template. It has one default view.

I then uploaded both to Windchill, and tried to use the startpart as a startpart.

It successfully started my part with the new name, and copied the drawing, but the drawing is still referencing startpart, not my new part.

sriger, from what you said it sounds like I don't need to make a drawing with the startpart. Am I misunderstanding, or should I be using a template?

Just a guess, but try deleting the .123 extension from your startpart.prt.123. I think I remember something about this when I did it a few years ago.

How is your drawing template setup? Is it a drawing that has a view of a part that is associated with it, or is it a template drawing that uses a template view with a part associated with it, oris it a template drawing that usesa template view with no part associated with it? Creating the startpart.drwin the first situation can cause what you are seeing from the steps you just described when you later create test.prt using the Copy associated drawings option on the New File Options dialog.

Check to see if you have two parts associated with thetest.drw. With the first situation you should see the part your template drawing had associated with it, it should be the active model,and the views should be associated with itand you should also have test.prt associated with the drawing. The second situation will cause thepart associated with the templateand test.prt models to be associated with the drawing but because a template view is used the drawing view should be of test.prt andit should be the active model. The third situation should only have the test.prt associated with the drawing and the drawing view should be correct.

When using the Use Template option on the New Drawing dialog the template used should not have a model associated with it it should only contain template views created in the Template application.
Edited by: kdem

Our template drawinghas one template view created in the template application and is not associated to any part. The third option above. I'm not getting two parts associated with test.drw, it just doesn't become associated with test.prt.

I don't think this is an issue with the template I use to create the startpart.drw, but I could be wrong.

Is there a way to create a drawing from a template without associating a model with it? When I make startpart.drw from template.drw I am forced to pick startpart.prt as the drawing model. I feel this is where something is going wrong.

Are the startpart.prt and startpart.drw something you can post? I'd need the ones for WF5 (I thought you said you tried this in WF5 also) if you can.

I'm not sure the selection of the model is the problem. It's one of the methods I used and I didn't get the result you're seeing.

You have to remove the view and remove the model startpart.prt from the drawing. This is what is causing the issue. This is the relationship I was referring to.

srieger said:
You have to remove the view and remove the model startpart.prt from the drawing. This is what is causing the issue. This is the relationship I was referring to.

Sorry if I'm missing something in what is being done but I'm not sure this is this problem. I can't say for Creo 1.0 but my unstanding is they tried in WF5 also and get the same results. It's also my understanding they tried using the files locally and get the same results which would mean the issue is independant of Windchill. I'm not seeing the problem show up with WF5, following their description as best I can of how the startpart.prt and startpart.drw were created, whether I'm working locally or in Windchill.

Unfortunately I can't share the parts. sregier, I did try removing the view and model from the drawing, but then I just get the empty drawing (lacking a part and view. It still has the formatting and tables). kdem, I did try in WF5 and got the same results. FireWild, deleting the file extension didn't help, but I've tried crazier.

The weird thing is I got "copy associated drawings" to work once, months ago. I called it good and went on to other things. It wasn't until people complained that I was awaer it wasn't working any more. During this time we were still getting Creo set up, so there were a lot of config changes getting pushed out every week. I've looked for anything relating to startparts in the config, but can't find anything that could cause this.

I appreciate all the help you guys have been, but it looks like we'll just have to live with inserting the model manually into the drawing. At this point I'm thinking it is more trouble to get this working than it is worth.

Hello Zach,
did you try the config.pro option let_proe_rename_pdm_objects yes ?
As using a start part is basically saving a copy renaming may be blocked. I cannot test it because I use ProE standalone.
Reinhard

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back