Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Windchill Delay

Atropos89

Ok, new problem in our move to Creo/Windchill. We have our config files set up how we want, but whenever a feature (or new part) is activated for the FIRST time, there is about a 90 second delay before it actually starts. So for example:

New part (90 sec delay)
Extrude (90 sec delay)
Sketch(90 sec delay)
Sketch(no delay)
Extrude (no delay)
Pattern (90 sec delay)

There is no increase in the system usage during these delays, only a spike in network traffic. We found three options that are causing this: pro_group_dir, pro_material_dir, andpro_format_dir. When these are set to aWindchill location(wtpub://Windchill/...) we get the delay as described above. When they are set to a networked drive (I:\...) there is no delay. The files in the Windchill and networked drive directories are identical.

In addition, therecan be other config options pointing to Windchill that do not cause a delay (format_setup_file, template_drawing, template_solidpart, sketcher_palette_path, and mdl_tree_cfg_file).Any ideas?

We have a custom launcher for Pro/E. We have this custom launcher copy some of the libraries to a directory in the local hard drive to avoid this issue. Perhaps you can copy some of your libraries to a network path or a local directory.

Hello AaronMejia,

Could you please tell me more about the custom launcher that you use? I'd love to implement something like that here, but I'm not sure where to begin? Do you modify the "proe.bat" file? The .psf?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Rudy Seidl/ CAD Admin / CA Corp / IL

Just create a new batch file that copies the configuration files from the network to your local drive, then calls the proe.bat file.

I don't copy the templates or other files. Just the config files that control company wide standard configurations.

I store templates and setup files on the server and not in Windchill and have the config option pointed to their server path.

PTC recommends that template files be stored on the network, not in Windchill. Format files do need to be stored in Windchill.

I would put as little into windchill as possible. Its bad enough we are all "married" to pro/e because of our legacy data. After being on Windchill for a few months, in my opinion Windchill is a trainwreck.

looslib said:
PTC recommends that template files be stored on the network, not in Windchill. Format files do need to be stored in Windchill.

I store all my templates in Windchill with no problems. Windchill is an excellent tool but configuration is key. There are a lot of things that can be done to "tune" it. I would recommend utilizing an approved Windchill implementor to help resolve these issues.

We used a PTC certified implimentor. They had done dozens of installs,and our ptc tech support account manager personally recommended them.We actually had no object confilcts or issues in the migration or and of the practice migrations. We had 4 weeks of validations, and had everyone pre-trained. Theproduction migration was shaky, and performance made itunusable the first week. They have had PTC's best oracle guys on our issues. Thats beenabout 5 weeks now. Well by 10:00 todayguess what, TOMcat was stuck again. You could notlog-in. Windchill stop, windchill start.

I know a trainwreck when I see one.

I wonder if it's an issue with resource allocation on the servers. It needs a lot of memory and if you are running both Winchill and Oracle on the same server, it can cause problem.

This is not the way windchill functions. I assure you. It's just a matter if isolating it down the the cause.

PTC has a lot of tools to look into it, which I assume you already know and they are using.

srieger - 26 Aug said:
I store templates and setup files on the server and not in Windchill and have the config option pointed to their server path.

srieger - 21 Sep said:
I store all my templates in Windchill with no problems. Windchill is an excellent tool but configuration is key. There are a lot of things that can be done to "tune" it. I would recommend utilizing an approved Windchill implementor to help resolve these issues.

So, which do you do?

Templates on the server and not in Windchill as I said PTC recommended to us when we implemeted PDMLink.

Or do you put the templates in Windchill.

Edited by: looslib

FishNut said:
... They have had PTC's best oracle guys on our issues. Thats beenabout 5 weeks now. ..

Theres your problem right there (possibly). According to my admin you need to have the Oracle people index and setup your database properly because the PTC guys dont do a very good job at it. Databases are NOT there specialty, CAD software is. Get the Oracle people to come in setup the database and let PTC handle the software implemantation. ps I work for Toyota US and where just getting to install windchill over this next year. finally.

Just to update where we are at here -

We have theformatsin Windchill and the templates on the network. Everything has been fine since switching to this setup. Now on to training everyone on how to make Creo drawings! (will the training ever end?...)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back