Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Hole Call Outs

TMPENG

Hello,

I have recently customized the hole call out format for the standard hole tables. When I show the note in the drawing, it works great. If I redefine the hole, it does not work great. It retains the callout format of the original hole. I have found two work arounds:1) delete the hole and rec-create it or, 2) when I redefine a hole, I edit the note in the model tree. Neither option is parametric, and both are a pain. Any suggestions.

Secondly, is there a way to make the hole attachment on the drawing default to the edge of the hole instead of the center of the hole. I have never seen a drawing where a hole callout pointed to the center of a hole.

I'm not much of a Rant/Raver, but this stuff is really quite silly, and for me, if PTC could fix some of these little things that in my mind are very simple, it would go a lot further than all the new enhancements/functionality they have been adding. I'd like creo to do the simple everyday tasks as well as its competitors.

Thanks for listening to my gripe
Matt

When redefining your hole go into the Note tab and click reset. That will update the note for the new style of hole.

I don't use the show annotations for hole notes, I just create a new annotation referencing the hole note.

I don't have reset as an option in note properties. Would it be possible for you to provide a screenshot? I am using creo 1.0

What is the advantage of creating a new annotation referencing the hole note? I am able to change the attachment point when I show the hole annotation. I would like it to default to the edge of the hole if possible.

Thanks

Im curious. Are you guys doing this thru a 3rd party software. I was told this couldnt be done in Pro. If this can be done i Pro can you point me in the right direction. I have a real need for this application. Im currently working on Wildfire 4.

It can be done within pro-e. It can take some time to set up depending on what you want to do. You have to edit the .hol files which are you hole table files. There you can customize the callouts. If you go to help on PTC's site and search for Callout_Format it'll get you started

It took me a couple days of playing around to make it do exactly what I wanted. I gave give you may sample hol files if you provide you email address.

Could someone send me some info on how to get this done.
Once again this should be explicit in the help files yet you need to troll the knowledge base to actually get it working. My cheap employer has opted for no maintenance as of late. I waste more time fixing hole notes than I should admit in public.

This forum saves my but now and then and has allowed me to pick up some tricks.
Thanks in advance to all.

Chris

I wonder how many manhours have been spent trying to automate something that is so simple if done manually?

For me, I have spent a ton of time. But at the same time, when you are designing machines with hundreds or thousands of holes, typing manually isn't an option when competitors are using SW and Inventor which do this automatically.

I have told my sales rep that making Creo's hole tables and callouts work like some of their competitors would save me more time than every other thing they have done in the past 3 releases combined. But that's just me. Everyone uses Creo in their own way.

I would REALLY LOVE a way to add holes that were NOT created as part of the original hole table format layout.

For example... I have a plate with 20 holes all using the same 3 references and have a csys at the same origin. I create my hole table on the drawing and all is good. Now I need to add let's say, 5 additional holes to the plate, but they will NOT be related to the original 3 references, but are dimensioned to something else. I would LOVE to be able to have a menu pick that would associate these 5 new holes to the original csys and references, so that they show up in my hole table... and now be associated together. Then my hole table would show all the holes together in the chart and not 20 on the chart and 5 orphans that require X-Y dimensioning on the print. How dumb !

I think if you delete the table and then re-create it the new holes show up in the same table. I don't have time to try it right now, but I'm pretty sure I've done that in the past.

In your example the 5 new holes don't have to have the same references as the first 20 in order for them to show in the same table. There are other conditions thataffect whether they show or not.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back