Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How to create clearance between two parts

gtenrreiro

Hi,

I have two parts; one is the bottom ofa plastic enclosure, the other is a battery cover that has to mate perfectly with the enclosure.

To do this I did a cutout of the enclosure using the battery cover as the cutting part, so now they mate perfectly. However, I need clearance between the cover and the enclosure around the cover's edge so that the cover would slide easily when operated.

How can I create the needed clearance around the battery cover's edge ? If I change the cover's dimension, the cut out updates accordingly, so they are always perfectly fitted.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

to make cutout of enclosure..do not use battery cover edges directly..instead use offset edges for cut-out sketch..
post an image to make your problem clear, if i understood your problem wrong

I see what you mean but I am not sure I can use your technique because of how I am doing the cutout.

In Assembly mode I went to Edit -> Component Operations..., and chose CutOut.

Then it asks for two parts, first the part that I want to cut from, then the cutting part.

I chose the enclosure base as the part to be cut, and the battery cover as the cutting part.

I am attaching a picture so that you get a better idea of what I mean.

Thanks

View attachment 5285

Make a copy of the surfaces in the bottom that form the boundary between the parts; in assembly copy this surface to the other part then offset for the clearance and use this to solidify ie remove this from the cover. Any update in the bottom will flow through to the cover.

Good point kenppy.

If you got a part that fits perfectly (since you made a cutout) then you can ALSO Just offset the surfaces in the part and solidify there.

Offset command is under Edit, and you will probably first have do to a copy of the surfaces you want to offset. Use "copy / Paste" for that.

//Tobias

Thank you for your help.

So I did as you guys said:

1. Copied the surfaces from the cutout adjacent the Batt Cover

2. I extended the edges so that when I thinkened it it would cut through all the material (if I didn't it ended up with some small surfaces on the rounds which closed the gap)

3. I thickened the copy, and told it to remove material away from the Batt Cover.

I exagerated the gap so that you can see that it works.

Hope this helps someone else as well.

Thanks

View attachment 5291

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back