Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Editing Model for Plating

penjas14

I have a model that was imported from a .stp file that I need to modify for plating. I need to take .001" off of all surfaces to account for plating. What is the easiest way to do this? I am using WF 3.
Edited by: penjas14

If you want to modify the model then there is some work involved in offsetting the surfaces.

When we get something like this which is 3D machined then an instruction to the machineshop is sufficient, they can do this offset automatically; or create a toolpath and use a smaller cutter.

Copy all surfaces using solid surfaces. Use offset surface command value .001. Edit Solidify and use offset quilt to create cut.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

If it is showing as solid geometry you could probably use Edit> Offset> w/ the expand feature option selected in the dashboard. You should be able to offset the whole model if need be by the .001"

If you have larger offset values, small features may tend to fail, but should be okay with .001". Give it a try!

-Greg

Hi Penjas14,

EASIEST way -> "ALL DIMENSIONS APPLY AFTER PLATING". Add this as a note on the drawing.

Jay Crook.

penjas14 said:
I have a model that was imported from a .stp file that I need to modify for plating. I need to take .001" off of all surfaces to account for plating. What is the easiest way to do this? I am using WF 3.

Models should always be to finished size. If wespecify a thick phosphate coating wesometimes dual-dimensionfeatures with pre and post coating dimensions and specify a coating thickness range. For .001" plating we wouldn't bother,suffice to say dimensions are finished sizes.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back