Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Processors

cklem

Hi All,

I have question about processors. I currently have a machine with (2) dual core Xeon 3.73 Ghz processors that are hyper-threaded. My question is would my processors be the same speed as a dual quad core machine that is not hyper-threaded (given that the Ghz would be the same?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Depends on the application - for MECHANICA an FEA job takes
about the same time with H/T on or off. There's just a heap
more thrash happening with it turned on.

This may not be the case for rendering engines - perhaps
someone can comment on them?

Hyperthreading is just smoke & mirrors. Having twice as many real cores available to do work can be faster if you have software that can take advantage of them. Most parts of Pro/E are single threaded so more cores does not help. Mechanica will benefit and assembly retrieval will benefit from more cores.

Thank all for the replies. I am just trying to see if there is a machine out there that would be faster. I have 8GB of ram and have only got the machine up to 6GB used. I don't use Mechanica, but I have several large assemblies that take a little bit to load.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back