Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

finding session id for a part

tarunkp

I am working with a program and would appreciate some help for the identification of session id's of parts. I am not able to locate the session id of an open part. The part is driven from parameters and possibly driving some parameters. I have tried the route of tools>relations>show>session id. The session id option is grayed and i cannot select it.

help would be greatly appreciated.
tarun

The session id pick is only available in the relations editor while in assy mode or in a drawing where there are multiple models or an assy.

thanks for your reply Doug. I noticed this after fiddling with it for a while. So i made an arbitrary .asm file and called up the part files i wanted to know session id of. Then i determined their session id.

tarun

i had one more doubt. Is there any way i can list all the session id's of the parts, sketches, features, assemblies that i have opened within a given time frame?

thanks,
tarun

Keep in mind, session ids are not permanent. Like their name implies, they are only good for that session of Pro/E. They are assigned in order of retrieval, parts using even numbers starting with zero, and assemblies odd numbers starting with 1. I'm not sure how or if sketches are assigned session ids, I'm guessing not.

So, if you open part ABC123 first thing this session of Pro/E, it'll have session id 0. If tomorrow, you open 5 other parts first and then open ABC123, it'll have session id 10.

I don't know of any way to determine the session id's of parts and assemblies except through the relations dialog or by putting them in a drawing (with other parts), showing a dimension and the switching the dimension symbols.

To find a component’s (session) ID…
Go to the relations of the assembly…and go to SHOW.
Pick part/assy depending on what you’re looking for…
Then select the part/assy from the model tree.
It’ll then tell you the session ID for the component.

To use a parameter or dimension from a component… the syntax is “parameter”:Session ID
So…
The mass if ID #83 is
Mass:83

You could also use any other parameter or dimension like this.
D14:83 will give you dimension #14 of component session ID 83.

This is a better way (probably) of subtracting out mass from an assembly than just overriding the mass completely…

MASS=MP_MASS("")-mass:83
WEIGHT=MASS
PTC_COMMON_NAME=DESIGNATION

It would be handy if a part/assembly's Session ID could be shown in a column in the model tree ...
But apparantly, that is not possible ...
(Using WildFire 4.0 and 5.0)

Kind regards

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back