Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Divide Face

Ledawg

I have a question for you guys. Being an old Ideas and UG user, they had commands to split a surface. Is there a way in Pro to split a face of something. Say for instance you had a square box. And on that box you wanted to put a nike swoosh. I want to split up the surface that we want the swoosh on so that on that face we have two surfaces. Then I can color the swoosh one color while the outside of the swoosh is another color. Is therea divide face in pro?

I created a block. Put a sketch on one face. But it doesnt let me use the trim command. What am I missing. Im a new user to pro so any help would be appreciated.

Ledawg said:
I created a block. Put a sketch on one face. But it doesnt let me use the trim command. What am I missing. Im a new user to pro so any help would be appreciated.

Make sure the block is a surface and not solid. Once it's a surface you can then pick the surface face (left click and slightly move the mouse until when the one surface is pink) and select Trim from the Edit menu. Select the sketch on that face as the Trimming Object. Flip arrows as mentioned above to keep all surfaces.

Edited by: jsantangelo

Thanks James. I have done this. But thats really not what I was trying to do. I wanted to split a face on a solid. I found another thread on this and it appears that you cannot do this in Pro. That amazes me. I guess my real problem is Ive used too many cad systems and Im trying to steal commands off of one, to use on another. It just doesnt work.

Ledawg said:
Thanks James. I have done this. But thats really not what I was trying to do. I wanted to split a face on a solid. I found another thread on this and it appears that you cannot do this in Pro. That amazes me. I guess my real problem is Ive used too many cad systems and Im trying to steal commands off of one, to use on another. It just doesnt work.

Another option is to select the solid face as above, Ctrl-C (copy) then Ctrl-V (paste) and create a surface copy of that solid face and use the surface copy like you want. OR slightly offsetting that surface by like .0001 or so will make it appear like it is part of the solid.

View attachment 4839

Edited by: jsantangelo

You can create a surface region in Mechanica. I use it to make faces to apply loads and/or boundary conditions.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back