Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Windchill installation Question (Newbie)

anandel

Hi all,

I have a quick question. I have been using Pro/E for close to 10 years now. I am planning to kinda move towards Windchill PDMLink as I see it offers better career options (isn't it?). I do not have any prior aquaintance with Intralink or windchill but I am getting help from someone to install Windchill in my home pc. Its a Dell pc with XP home in it. Now, is there a minimum requirement/ system restrictions to install windchill? I know I have to install oracle and I already did (10G). But in general the hardware etc. what is that I need to keep in mind? Also, this is purely for learning purposes only. I just wanted get my feet wet and may be take up a PTC course later and proceed from there.

Any insight, advice, comment greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

I'm not sure XP Home would take it, as it may lack some of the network components that come with XP Pro or Windows server. I haven't tried it in Windows yet, but it may work fine because you won't be using the IIS.

Are you running it on virtual machines, or directly in Windows?

The requirements, as far as I remember, are the same for the different servers. The most demanding is Oracle, so if you already have it running then you're in good shape. Apache, Tomcat, etc. do not require as much hardware. Still, I'd reccomend a machine with 2 processors running at least at 2 ghz with over 1gb ram if you are running it on windows. 40 GB of free hard drive should be more than enough. This, of course, because you're not talking about a production server. For a production server you may want multi-core Xeon class processors (4 cores would do) with over 4 GB RAM (8 or more reccomended) and plenty of HD space.

Thanks Aaron.

For one, from what you are saying, XP Home is not going to cut it. I am planning to install Windows Server 2003 (make my pc dual boot) and will try to install Windchill on that. Other than that, its a core 2 duo pc with 2 Gig RAM in it. Seems to be in line (or better)with what you have put out. Thanks very much for your input and hope my installation would work out Ok. Any other comments/suggestions always welcome.

Thanks again.

I would use vmware or another virtual solution. You can get
a free version. Before you start the installation you
should make a snapshot and if the installation fail you can
go back to the snapshot and restart. I did that and every
time one stap did succes I made a new snapshot. I had do go
back a couple of times. That saved me many hours.

If you are running in a dual core machine then I'd reccomend you to use a virtual machine. since the virtual machine would use one dedicated processor, then I'd install the file vault and Oracle DB in the windows installation and run everything else in a virtual machine. 1 dedicated core with 1 gb RAM would do for the virtual machine.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back