Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Assembly modeling

Ledawg

I have a question about some assembly modeling. Im fairly new users of pro. Is there a setting in the Config.pro file that controls what planes can be modeled on when you have a part active. For example. I have an assembly with 3 parts. I want to model on part 1. Is there something that tells pro that I can only pick the datum planes or faces of part 1. Seems kind of crazy to be able to model on a different part than that one that is set to active. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

There are all kinds of reference control config options. I have things set very restrictive by default to avoid external references.

default_ext_ref_scope none
default_object_invalid_refs prohibit
default_object_scope_setting none

Then to make things like cutouts I load these:

allow_ref_scope_change YES
default_ext_ref_scope ALL
default_object_scope_setting ALL
default_object_invalid_refs COPY
ignore_all_ref_scope_settings YES
model_allow_ref_scope_change YES
scope_invalid_refs COPY

Thats exactly what Im trying to avoid. Again Im a new user can you explain briefly what some of these control. Or what they mean. I plan on looking at these asap.

I did some messing around and I have come up with another question. If you take an assembly. Is there a way to make the datums for a certain part highlight a different color when you make that part active. It would be nice to have the part you have active have say highlighted. And all other datums grey out.

If you go to >tools >assembly settings >reference controls, you can play around and select settings to allow selection of certain settings , ie just assembly features

Gary

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back