Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

chamfered edges and sheetmetal

wildfirebrigade

I found its impposible (in WF5) to create a sheetmetal part from a solid cube with intersecting chamfered edges. The only way I can get a flatstate from the part, is to extrude a big hole in the corner prior to converting to sheetmetal. See image:
Any suggestions for a proper solution??
View attachment 4650
<div menubottom="0" menuright="0" menutop="0" menuleft="0" activeid="-1" expanded="0" style="display: none;" id="divCleekiAttrib"></div><div menubottom="0" menuright="0" menutop="0" menuleft="0" activeid="-1" expanded="0" style="display: none;" id="divCleekiAttrib"></div>
Edited by: wildfirebrigade

In my experience, creating sheet metal parts from a solid shape is not the best way to go, because it doesn't give you the flexibility to add and remove walls that a wall by wall modelling approach will give you. However, your experience and design intent / changes may be different.

Given that, have you tried a conversion on the same shape without the chamfer feature. How about a draft feature or a couple of cuts? Is it a problem due to the geometry or the feature itself? (I am thinking it's a geometry problem, but you specifically mentioned a chamfer; so, I am wondering if you tried other features.)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back