Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

View Scale Losing ID Reference

conrat

I have looked on here for someone who has had this same problem. Though there are a lot of posts regarding automating view scales, I can't find anyone having this problem.

I created a relation that sets a numeric parameter "DRW_ELEV_VIEW_SCALE" in the assembly.

I place a view of the assembly. I then change the scale to "DRW_ELEV_VIEW_SCALE". Pro/E adds the session ID of the assembly, for example, "DRW_ELEV_VIEW_SCALE:25".

The drawing now will update the view scale based on this parameter.

All is fine until I close and reopen the drawing after starting a new session. What happens is Pro/E holds onto the session ID :)25), even if the assembly now has a new session ID. So it seems Pro/E is not linking the two. Works fine until the assembly gets a new session ID. Since I cannot control how Pro/E assigns the session ID, I need it to update automatically.

Anyone else have problems with a drawing view losing the session ID of the assembly or part in the view? It just keeps what originally was added, even if the view's assembly or part's session ID changes.

Side Note: I have a family table of assemblies. I don't know if my
problem is related to the family tables, but I figured I mention it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

I figured it out, so I figured I'd post the solution in case anyone else has this issue.

The secret is, you must have the parameter in the model that the view is attached to.

See, I had an assembly that contained two sub assemblies (the sub assemblies happen to be the same size as the top level assembly - it is a window kit for a door). I had the parameter in the top level assembly, which is what I was referencing on each of the sub assembly views. This required me to reference the session ID.

However, if you ensure that the part or sub assembly that is shown in the view has the parameter too, you do not need to use the session ID. You can directly reference the parameter without using the session ID. This avoids the situation where the session ID is not updated, as it is no longer required.

smiley32.gif
I am doing my happy dance right now.

Jim

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back