Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

curve

alkokabani

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me please. I am attempting to create sping like curve. I used top datum to plot 4 points then created new datums to creat the rest of the points to be used creating a curve (spring like curve). I have different distances between each datum thus it is no a perfectly spaced out spring. The problem I am having is that I can't seem to creat a perfect cirle of the spring as you can see by checking out the attached file from the top view.

Thank you in advanced for any input/comments/help.

Cheers!
2010-08-31_023847_curve.jpg

Thanks Zestje,

I did check out Leo's tutorial and I am a big fan of his work and tutorials. I don't know how to use the graph to have 3 diferent distances between each rotation. Leo's tutorial covers how to use the graph to make the ends of the spring do what I need, but there is also one other rotation in the middle that I am trying to make. I did solve the problem though using the hard way. I used a circle as a reference along withdatums ploting 8 dots instead of 4.I totally agree with you, it is not the most efficient way of doing it but I got what I needed.Thanks again!

Cheers!

Actually,

You might want to check out Leo's pointers on datum graphs...

http://www.e-cognition.net/pages/DatumGraph.html

He also discusses a formula to match the graph with an equation for the helix and use a VSS.

The helical is pretty much a manual method (old, old, old) with more abstract and limited controls. I like to use the newer tools (they have icons) but still don't know how to use them well and fall back to my old habits.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back