Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Remove

mgnt8

Is it me or is this feature really unstable?Whenever I redefine something upstream, Remove always fails. I mean every single time. Most of the time, all I have to do is enter redefine and it then regenerates (but sometime not). Can't PTC tighten the screws on something to get this to work better?

I think it's probably you mgnt8
smiley2.gif
. I've never seen this problem in Pro/ENGINEER (since version 20). If you delete a feature that has children then of course those child features will fail. Have a think how you can build model stabilty in to your models by using datum features (don't be afraid to use these) and referencing these instead of feature entities. The mark of good 3-D modelling is the ability to incorporate model stabilty and design intent in to your models so that they are as least sensitive as possible to design changes and feature deletion.

Thanks for the lecture onrobust modelsbut that isn't what I'm talking about.

As Tobias said, I'm talking about the actual "Remove" feature. I'm notdeleting a feature. I'm editing a dimension in a feature that has no parent relationship with the Remove feature. Remove fails every time. You then have to go into Redefine, don't do anything, select the green check mark, and it resumes. Conclusion: Remove feature is ridiculously un-robust to parapharase Design-Engine.

View attachment 4581

Mgnt8 is right.

I have similar problems and not only with the "remove" feature. Also with "Offset" and sometimes with difficult Rounds whenthere are a lot of features to regenerate.Redefine, don't do anything, select the green check mark, and it resumes.

Wilfire 4.0 M150

I've had that on rare occasions, more often with rounds than anything else. I think it is usually an accuracy problem. With relative accuracy, the actual accuracy changes with every feature you add. There must be something different about how Pro/E evaluates the small edges and surfaces during feature definition/redefine than when doing complete model regeneration. Frustrating for sure but I can usually make it stop by increasing accuracy (smaller value) or switching to absolute accuracy.

I don't have any experience with the remove feature, think I tried it once when they introduced it.

The Remove feature is not stable at all. It behaves exactly as you describe...In amost all cases we've gone back to use the Offset feature instead.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back