Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

missing pdf icon

chodges

we just upgraded to WF 5 and now our pdf icon is missing and its not in the "Customize" window. It's been so long since we added the icon, I can' t remember how we did it. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Thanks!

Are you on a 64 bit machine perhaps? When we converted to 64bit PCs using Windows XP Pro, we lost our ability to dreate pdfs via Pro/E. We discovered that 64bit pdf creation is not supported by Adobe for Windows XP Pro - only Vista or Windows 7.

We are using 64 bit XP Pro but Pro/E does export pdf's if using File>Save A Copy. We've been exporting pdf's on these systems since we've had them but lost the pdf icon when we updgraded to WF 5.

Create a mapkey. GOTO tool, create mapkey and, go back to tool,change the icon as you like, drag to the top table. Cheers

No, you definitely lose the PDF icon with the 64 bit version of Pro/E but not if you install 32bit version of Pro/E on a 64bit system. I think there must be a fault with the software.

This is probably worthy of a bug report.

PTC outsources the PDF creation to a 3rd party which created a DLL. This DLL was not available in 64-bit form until Wildfire 5.0, so even though you could export to PDF in 32-bit WF3 and WF4, you couldn't in 64-bit WF3 and WF4. So it made sense to remove the icon in 64-bit WF3 and WF4.

Now publishing PDF's is available in WF5, but it seems this icon is still not there. Hence, bug report.

Alternatively you can go to the "Publish" tab in the ribbon and export to PDF that way, or, as bianto has suggested, create a mapkey.

install "cutepdf", it works with 64bit and a whole lot
better than the proe pdf creator. You merely "print to PDF"

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back