Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Importing Wing Sect Pics for Sketching

tdekon

I am a Pro/E newbie working on drawing an existing race car wing for analysis in CFD. I havea pdf file picture (no geometry) of the profile that I want to import into a sketch and then sketch over it. Any suggestions of how to go about this?

Thanks,

Terry

I suggest placing it into your model using Pro/ENGINEER ISDX.... scale it appropriately then build your geometry from that as you would build any arrow dynamic geometry.

Bart,

Sorry, but I only made it through most of the Tickoo Wildfire 4.0 for Designers book and do not know what ISDX is (well, I looked it up, but still don't really know). I just want to put the scanned drawing(now in .jpg format) in a sketch with my rough wing profile overlayed (from a spline) and tweak the spline to match the .jpg. I know this can be done in CATIA V5 and was hoping to be able to do it in Pro/E.

BTW, I saw some of your YouTube dyno pulls and thinkour race car may be able to top your power output by a little.
smiley4.gif

Thanks again,

Terry

James,

That worked and I now have the picture in Pro/E and have sketched the wing profile over it. Thank you very much.
smiley32.gif

Terry

tdekon said:
BTW, I saw some of your YouTube dyno pulls and thinkour race car may be able to top your power output by a little.
smiley4.gif

sounds cool!! post some info and pics!!
smiley4.gif

//Tobias

Hi tdekon,

Looks like you're facing a very easy problem to AutoCad, instead of Proe, to me is much easy to handle the picture as a raster image inside autocad, cause you can rotate, scale, etc, then trace the spline, and at last insert the curves you have to ProE, to build the surfaces you need to CFD.

Personally this is not a job to ISDX, cause you need the best curve fitting, the right scale and rotating, when I use ISDX is when I trace a hand sketch, where I don't need a best curve fitting just an aproximation

Regards

Pablo

you can use a utility online that will generate a precise wing cross sections. Those points can be used to generate a wing cross section at the desired location from the fuselage.Generate the required cross section of points... on a DTM sketch the spline .... wa-la the cross sections of the wing.

4-digit NACA airfoil generator .... The point generator utility will take into account various items such as leading edge and trailing edge, Dihedral Angle, angle of incidence .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_airfoil < All based on NACA information from before 1950 by the way.
Edited by: design-engine

Here is a data base of airfoils... maybe the ones you need are here.....

http://www.ae.uiuc.edu/m-selig/ads/coord_database.html

I am sure there are other data bases online if the airfoils aren't proprietary.

NACA sections are SOOOOO 20th century!! lol not frequently used these days if max performance is the goal.....

if is it possible to get X,Y,Z data points for the airfoils, then you can import this X,Y,Z data in a IBL file.....this file is a text file with the following format.....

ClosedIndexArclength

Begin section ! 1
Begin curve ! 1

you can scale the airfoil sections on the fly in the curve creation.....

the file must have an extension ".ibl" but can simply be copied and pasted into a simple text file and change the extension in windows explorer.

If you can't get X,Y,Z data, it just sucks! :(

email me at [email protected]

as long as you don't work for northrup, I can prolly help!!!

lol

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back