Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Import Data Doctor

dr_gallup

I'm trying to import an iges file in WF2 & it's only coming in as surfaces. Of course, the manual heal geometry tools do not seem up to the task. It can find the gaps & it says it zips them but still no solid. So I tried opening the same file in WF4 to try out the new & improved Import Data Doctor. However, when I redefine the import feature in WF4 the menu & icon for IDD is greyed out & I can do nothing. Has PTC licensing fooked me again?
2009-07-13_152433_15411634_female_conn.zip

they hide the import data doctor tools. In all of PTC's effort to make fancy icons... the software becomes less usable.

Once you re-define the iges file. "edit definition" the import.... look to the right of the screen. There are five symbols. The third one from the top is the square with the plus in the middle. That's the data doctor. (I think I would have made the plus red like health)

You have basically four modes under this data doctor option.
Edited by: design-engine

Thanks for the healed files.
smiley32.gif

I opened a call to PTC & they had to send me a new license file with a line
# Optional Modules = Import Data Doctor

Now why didn't my WF4 license file have that already?

I hate how PTC makes all the new functionality optional extras so they can nickel & dime (more like thousands of dollars) their existing customer base to death. In this case it didn't actually cost anything, just a ton of frustration.

Now to see if I can get the IDD to fix that file.

c_thompson_68 said:
Try importing this model (STEP or IGES), as it should now be a solid. I healed the model using SolidWorks 2009 SP 4.0.

Although I could have tried to heal the model using Pro-E WF 2.0 or 3.0, the tool in SW is more user friendly and requires less time.

Regards,

Chris Thompson

2009-07-13_163643_15411634_female_conn-1.zip

Double dang. WF2 doesn't like either of those files either although there are fewer areas it complains about.

When I tested importing the healed IGES file into Pro-E (WF 2.0), it came in as a surface. However, the healed STEP file imported as a solid (see attached image). The question is why did one import as a surface, and the other as a solid?

To save you time, I saved the imported STEP file as a Pro-E part file (WF 2.0). I wonder why the healed STEP file did not import as a solid for you?

2009-07-13_233744_15411634_female_conn_WF2.zip

Regards,

Chris Thompson
www.appianwaytech.com

No idea why your healed STEP file didn't come in solid. Maybe an accuracy thing although I tried changing that. Thanks again for the conversion.

In my experience, STEP files tend to be more 'importable' than IGES: don't ask me why.

The 'import doctor' in SW is easier to learn anduse, but the PTC 'import doctor' can be more powerful. However, the PTC version can be dangerous: you can end up with unintended consequences if you aren't careful. With both, it can be helpful to make some fixes, save it and continue editing. The SW version allows very little (any?) manual selection of edges to merge, which can be a pain at times. I use both of them, and just about anything I have success with can be saved as a STEP file and imported into the other package without problems. This is a classic example of why it's a good idea to know how to ride more than one horse.

No, I'm talking about 'easy and quick' (SW) versus 'complex, frustrating and time consuming' (Pro/E). The whole idea is to try to get the job done right in as little time as possible. That's why Ilike tostart with SW, then use Pro/E if that doesn't seem to work. Five minutes in SW (which usually works), then two hours in Pro/E if it doesn't. And sometimes even that doesn't work - but I can't blame the software, the real problem at that point is usually crummy IGES data period. The whole idea is to maximize productivity and make the best use of resources that are available.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back