Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro E no longer opens

Seems to be a NIC issue. Disabling Hamachi and then disabling the card followed by renabling the NIC seems to get me one go on Pro E before I need to cycle Hamachi and the NIC again. I'm going to look into a new driver for my NIC, and maybe removing Hamachi. Thing is, I've had Hamachi on here for a month before the issue started. I also have Hamachi on the laptop, although lately that computer has been behaving most of the time.

So you are up and running? I'ts a video card driver thing? What is NIC and Hamachi? I'm not familiar with these...

NIC is Network Interface Card. In this case, my ethernet card. Hamachi is a small program that allows for people to appear to be all on one local network, even if they are on different sides of the world. Kind of a VPN, but I use it with a bunch of friends for doing LAN games. It appears in my Network Connections list as a NIC of sorts, and can be disabled/enabled as such.

Now to my solution, as it looks to be. No, not a video driver thing, and it turns out, not even a NIC driver thing. Well, maybe it is, but I got it working reliably, at least for today. We'll see how Pro E feels tomorrow :)

If I click on a folder on the left navigation tree (My Documents is what I keep doing, as that is where my files are anyway) AS SOON AS I SEE THE TREE, it seems to load fine. If I let the browser try to come up, it crashes. The same is true on my laptop.

I've had Hamachi on there for well over a month, so I doubt it was causing the problem, but maybe it was anyway, perhaps it did something without my knowledge (like update?). So I'm not sure why the problem started so suddenly, but perhaps all will work okay now...

You might want to try that if yours gets that far. Perhaps it will work for you too.

Matt

So, it still works this morning, and so I did the following so I don't have to click on a folder immediately. It opens just fine without me touching anything now:

Once getting it to stay open as I mentioned before, I went to
Tools -> Customize Screen
Click the browser tab
Uncheck the box next to Expand browser by default when ProE Opens.
Save the config.win file to your startup directory.

And now all is good. I don't use that browser ever anyway, so its not a problem for me.

Well I'm up and running too. I updated the video card driver and that did the trick. my only thought is that the disk defrag I ran some how moved or deleted some file that was needed. Anyway thanks for all the help.

This is a possible SOLUTION!!!
I had a similar problem a few weeks back and tried re-installs, updating drivers, etc, had no luck. Then I got another guy to log onto my computer with his login, and it worked fine. I believe that the user profile was somehow corrupted so I created a new one and everything worked great! Our IT guys had absolutely no idea which is about the same as my knowledge of IT.

delete the xml files in C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\PTC\ProENGINEER\Wildfire\.wf\.Settings

One of the first posts in this thread covered that. Judging by the error, it would seem that that should work, but it doesn't. But all is working as it should now that the browser does not open on start up. Oddly, calling up the browser later on seems to work fine...

The laptop seems incorrect behavior, you can still use the program, sometimes without close. I received an email in support of PTC for the students of Ed, but probably never meet.

This thread is dead. Check dates before replying, mcadcentral recently lost about 8 months of forum posts -- everything from roughly November 16th 2009 to July 10th (or so) 2010 (including PM's).

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back