Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dual Dimensioning Exception

McCormickN

Hello Everyone,

I am currently converting some drawings from single dimensionto adual dimensioning format. There are a few dimensions on the drawings that the customer wants to leave with only one unit. I was wondering if anyone knew a way to exclude one dimension from the dual dimensioning configs set in the drawings DTL file. I know it can be fudged in using relations and notes, but I wasn't sure if someone knew a better way! Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Nat McCormick

How though? I couldn't find any way to toggle on/off a dual dimension on only one specific dimension. When you set your DTL to a dual dimensions format (like primary[secondary]) it defaults all dimensions to being dual dimensioned. All that I can find to modify for the secondary dimension is whether it's a fraction/decimal and the number of significant figures. Other than that when you look at the text for the dimension it still only has the parameter for the single nominal dimension it just displays on the drawing with dual (since it is set in the .dtl file). Is there a way to toggle the dual dimension on/off on one single dimension? Thanks again for your help!

Sincerely,

Nat McCormick

The facility of turning off dual dimensions selectively is not available atleast in WF 2. Unlike AutoCAD, there is no possibility of having more than one dimension style within a drawing file in Pro E. Hence, it may not be possible to in higher versions also.

There are some more irritating things about dual dimensioning in Pro E.

It looks like you still can't do this even in Creo 1.0 Can anyone confirm otherwise? I would really like to be able to only have SOME dimensions be dual, not all of them.

I just don't see any way to turn them off/on selectively.

Have you tried manually dimensioning the "few"?

The more I hear about some of these requirements, the more I'm glad I'm retired! Dual dimensioning was kind of needed back a few decades. Today? Make up your mind!

Yeah, I've tried manually dimensioning them. Unless I turn on dual dimensions with the config option, all dual dimensioning is greyed out. It sure looks like it's an all or nothing kind of choice.

Of course, I'd just as soon not use it.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back