Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Shrinkwrap options

bobmann

I've got a quick question about Shrinkwraps. I've never used them before, but I think they're just what I need here. I want to make a simplified model of a somewhat-complex assembly to supply to our customers as a 3D model. Until now, I've been using Simplified Reps to do this, and it's worked okay. But it turns out that the file size of the .stp or .sat files that I'm exporting are still too big, and it's becomingannoyingto keep simplifying and simplifying the assembly. So maybe a Shrinkwrap is the way to go.

However, the problem is that there are certain holes that we NEED to show in these models. It seems as though Shrinkwrap will allow me to either remove all holes or remove no holes. Is there a way for me to remove the 98% of the holes that I don't need, while choosing the 2% or so that I do need?

I'm using WF 3.0 (M090). Thanks for any help...

Have you played with all the setting in shrinkwrap? It sounds like your on the right track, as there as various options to fill holes and set quality levels. Trial and error might be your best betusing shrinkwrap.

I am not sure if you have heard of the "map-part technique" before but it can be used for all sorts of things and may be just what the DR ordered for you. Essentailly it consists of creating an empty part (PRT)and then creating anEXTERNAL shrinkwrap feature inside of it (in WF3.0 it will be INSERT > SHARED DATA > SHRINKWRAP and make sure you pick external ref icon and default placement).First off you need to understand that a shrinkwrap will only represent the "skin" of your assembly. Only the visible surfaces of the source assemblytend to get shown in your completed shrinkwrap. Also the detail or amount of surfaces (or "skin") that will be visible in your completed shrinkwrapwill be basedon the percentage that you set in your quality level setting in the dashboard (1 being lowest and 10 being highest; keep in mind higher you go the slower it takes to create/update the SW). You can also use the COMP SUBSET option in dashboard to IGNORE or CONSIDER which components will be shrink-wrapped thus protecting proprietary design or making model smaller in file size. One thing I might suggest in your case and something I do regularly is toIGNORE the components you absolutely need to show geometry for (in your case that will be the parts that have the holes you NEED) and CONSIDER everything else (assuming you want everything else) then select REFERENCES from the dashboard andpickin SURFACE SETS box then picka surfacefrom thepart (inside the assembly)you really need and thenRMB and pickSOLID SURFACES (it will highlight all surfs of that part). You can repeat that stepwhile holdingCTRL key to pick more parts if you need. Then finish the feature. That way you get to have you cake and eat it too! Keep in mind you would then send this PRT file to receipiant. So person you send to will need Pro/E. I haven't tried this with exporting out after "map-partting" but they may work also if you must send STP files etc. Keep in mind that map-parts using this method are parametric so therefore they can be updated to changes in your assembly, so store themalong withthe source Pro/E files. (you may also need to set TOOLS > ASSEMBLY SETTINGS > REFERENCE CONTROL to ALL before you create the external SW feature in the PRT).

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back