Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Configuration Management

design-engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Configuration_management

Sounds like some solidoworks function hu?

Are there any companies/managers out there taking this kind of corporate thinking/training? And how does this affect intralink/windchill and weather or not a BOM resides on a drawing or in some external system outside of Pro/ENGINEER...

Could there really be companies out there that don't place the BOM on a drawing?

I guess that is what intralink was all about and now windchill.Right?
Edited by: design-engine

Hi Bart,

I work in a CMMI level 5 company and the term "Configuration Management" is used very widely in the context of document control. This has nothing to do with the tools used for controlling the process of Creation, Flow within & outside the organization and finally Obsolesce management of the documents.

Before joining the current employer I used to work in a transnational heavy engineering company as a Steam Turbine Design engineer. In that company, BOM was always a separate document from the drawing. There were several instances where the the document number of BOM were completely different from the drawing numbers. This type of documentation is possible when you are designing similar assemblies for different projects.

Regards,

Anand

Ive been consulting at a major manufacturer lately and one manager went to a 'configuration management' class and now we have to take off all the robust BOM information off our assemblies to match up to an excel spread sheet exported out of some other software....

I think the manager might be interpreting his 'CM' class and what he wants instead is to export his BOM from Windchill or Intralink because the Pro/E assembly is the driving force. Maybe Windchill is not compliant to ISO9000?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back