Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

STL to surface?

fishman

Hi all,

I have an STL file and I want to generate a surface from it. Is there any good way to do this Pro/E? Thanks,

Ben

Look at these threads for more information of the topic:

CT/MRI to Pro/e: [url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38 715&KW=stl+solidworks[/url]

Medical Models: [url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38 871&KW=stl+solidworks[/url]

create solid from stl: [url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38 323&KW=stl+surface[/url]

For Pro-E, the REX module is required. As I have SolidWorks, I use my ScanTo3D add-in (module) to create a model that can be exported as a STEP file for importation into Pro-E.

Regards,

Chris Thompson
www.appianwaytech.com

Edited by: c_thompson_68

Wow! Thanks for the response.

I'm in a similar situation as you in that I don't have the reverse engineering module for Pro/E, but I do have the scan to 3d in Solidworks. I've never tried to use it though.

I looked at the help section in SW and it seemed to have an automated procedure to create the surface--which is what I want; it doesn't need to be parametric. Do you have any general tips or pointers how to generate a surface using this module? Thanks,

Ben

Hi,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I have with some success used following method, if the STL part isn

Per's suggestion is a good work-around if you don't have
ISDX. One thing I would add to that is to create a
spline (via sketch feature or create curve->thru points)
through the X-Sec generated curve because the X-sec
curve is actually a series of straight line curves from
vertex to vertex (not very useful for a boundary blend
or a VSS).

I've tried both Bart's and Per's suggestions in the past
and while they do work both techniques become very time-
consuming for highly triangulated (i.e. more accurate)
stl files. If the stl file is less triangulated it is
easier to generate the curves you need but unfortunately
the stl is less accurate.

Thanks for the tips guys (and gals?). The problem is that I'm dealing with models generated from MRI data and the STLs are highly triangulated. I don't want to deal with free form sketching or laying down curves. If worst comes to worst, I'm going to seek out access to geomagics as I know that software can do a good stl to surface conversion. I was hoping that Pro/E and/or Solidworks offered a similar solution....

I do teach several methodologies for capturing scan data forms.

Take this scenario. Engineering Manager wants a scan of an object.He wants to get an FEA or a CFD of the item after the scan. What he does not say is that he wants to modify the object in multiple iterations after the scan is captured and Analysis is ran.

Its one thing to be able to capture form from a scan data. It is quite another thing to be able to modify the geometry once that captured form is molded. Which is why I came up with this class.

[url]http://www.proetools.com/courses/pro_surface/advanced_import .htm[/url]

There are several techniques for managing the import data efficiently. Remember! "It is not how fast you model something. It is how fast you modify it 20 times."

Edited by: design-engine

Thanks for the heads up design-engine. The thing is that in my situation I really don't need to modify the surface at all--I just need an iges of it. Thanks,

Ben

Fishman,

I can send you literature on how to use ScanTo3D. Send an email to my contact on my website after my signature.

The automated surface is not parametric, but that should not be an issue from an MRI scan. It takes some time to prepare, but you can create a surface suitable for export as a STEP or IGES from SW, then import into Pro-E.

Regards,

Chris Thompson
www.appianwaytech.com

fishman said:
Thanks for the tips guys (and gals?). The problem is that I'm dealing with models generated from MRI data and the STLs are highly triangulated. I don't want to deal with free form sketching or laying down curves. If worst comes to worst, I'm going to seek out access to geomagics as I know that software can do a good stl to surface conversion. I was hoping that Pro/E and/or Solidworks offered a similar solution....

I was in the same boat. We ended up looking at GeoMagic and RapidWorks. The REX extension is an older outdated version of GeoMagic. Rapidworks is able to create a usable Nurbs surface in Pro/e. RapidWorks is also cheaper than GeoMagic.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back