Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

ARX Photolux Rendering

danno11

Does anyone use Photolux to do renderings or do most people us outside software. The reason that I am asking is that I rendered a simple washer just to get familiar with the commands and it took quite a bit of time to render and it seems that the out come did not look as good as I expected. By the this was done on Wildfire 5.0. When I show the part as transparent floor this is the out come that I would like but when you render it the out come was fuzzy and a little distorted. Also when trying to print a picture of the part with the transparent floor on the screen it will print it but it does not print the transparency or the shadows. the Machine I am using is a very good workstation so the power and speed and video of the computer is not an issue. If there is anyone that can help me or point me to some good tutorials I would really appreciate it.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Thank you

Dan

What lights are you using and what material are you using for the floor?

You have to get the right combination. I think, but am not 100% sure, that environment lights must be used in combination with shadow catcher sub class in misc material, otherwise no shadows. Transparency seems to be only available with generic class material, which would apparently require skylights or distant lights, which specifically enable shadows. You're going to have to fiddle around with the settings. Mental Ray is better and ultimately easier, but it still requires iterations at least in the beginning.

hi Dan, i am using ARX (Advanced Rendering eXtension or in other words PHOTOLUX) amost all the time in my work and we can render very nice and enough realistic pictures. Good result is i think about skills and practise as well as about lets say design feeling ... i will upload here some of my results later just to show what ARX can do for us ..... but you can find many many useful tips and tricks and output results of ARX in biggest topic in this forum .... just look for Q&A Rendering.. and About tutorial ... hmm i havent any tutorial for a years and i was really struggling with rendering and believe it was not just one night but you need to have patience, free time and good workstation ... you would not need any powerfull machine for your first attempts but after some time you will appreciate your machine :) ... believe me ... just to let you know ... we can define all material definition and lights and environment with perspective enabled and even depth of fielth and do the animaion with servomotors defined for motion and all this in Photolux quality ! ... then you will really need powerful machine to render it ... :) .. good luck and have enough patience with ARX.

I played around with Photolux and feel that the setup times were excessive for average results. I just don't think the maths is there for realistic light simulation. I came across Bunkspeed Hypershot (they are priced similarly) and wa absoluley BLOWN AWAY with the results. There are 6 main buttons and the lighting takes care of itself as it is spherical HDRI image based. All the lighting comes from the environment map. Mail me at [email protected] and I will show you the best that each software can do.

pjw:whyemailing ? any acces denied? i would like to see" thebest what each software" can do.... :) and by the HDRi sphere render is in WF 4 aswell... mentalray render isvery good impovement for us too ..

everything is about money now and why to pay money some another company to make for us render if we have the ARX package under the ordinary package of proE.

I think that the main thing here about renderingin proe isthat wedo not need to pay big money (relatively)foroutsourcingrender from someanother companyand insteaddo the lets say similar resultunder the onlyone and same"roof" ...

what is photorealistic image anyway ?i think itis hardly depended on every singleopinion ... someone is not ableto seelittle bump map on therubber of his pen.... but someone is just not satisfied withresults of ARX (maybe just his results) just because he have heard about Mayarendering... i know many companiesand theirs product cataloges are justcreatedright after first prototype is finally manufactured and corrected in some photoshop or so... i dont think thatthisway istime saver and "nicer" than justrendering it just during thedesigningof theproducts....

ARX is not part of the standard package of Pro/E. It is an add-on feature (ARX) and is comparable with Bunkspeed for price.

I am trying to upload some images but the 50kb limit doesn't do the images any credit!

check out some of the images on my posts for jacek`s ( maudibs ) pontiac, also some images in the modelling section under Model Challenge March 09. Those images were done with hypershot in just a few minutes, hypershot is worth every penny ! Hypershot vs ARX... I know who my money is on to win that one !

yes of course, ARX is not in foundation package .. I just wanted to say that bigger company have ARX in their package of proe and they saying it as "our ordinary package" because it is ordinary thing for themto have ARX there...but anyway, yeshypershot is good rendering software....we havehadsome otherpackages likethis earlier (from alias wavefront = autodesk company...was easy to render and import granite filesfrom proeetc. etc...).. easy and quick to do thenice pix :)
Edited by: Miko

The link is invalid.

By the way, could anyone ofyou please give some "step by step" tips of working outa rendering by Pro-e Photolux?

I wish nothing but a "step by step"/practical answer to Danno11's question three years ago.

I use it all the time.

7987357001_0ba2178df5.jpg

Edited by: gkbeer

Trying to debug why I cannot post this image from an iPad.

Would somebody report this post as broken. As the owner I don't get
that button.

Below is what I posted.
Code:
Trying to debug why I cannot post this image from an iPad.

Would somebody report this post as broken. As the owner I don't get 
that button.

(IMG)http://flic.kr/p/daPhXK(/IMG)

Even the code box is broke I had to swap paren's for brkt's.
Edited by: gkbeer

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back