Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Hole Tool: Thread Depth

Mindripper

Recently I posted a request for infromation on how to allow the option to adjust the size of holes and counterbores in Hole Tool, and I got a prompt and effective response:

set the config.pro option hole_diameter_override to yes

So I thought I'd ask if anyone knows how to allow the thread depth to be edited. I'm sure it is yet another one of those innumerable config.pro options, perhaps one of the hidden ones.

Yeah, sometimes one does in fact want to drill and tap to a specific depth other than twice the major thread diameter, and it is possible to do this in the real world. And anybody who only allows two thread diameters of thread in plastic should have their head examined.

When you defining the hole for your thread, first make sure the drill depth is deeper than your desired thread depth... and then select the "shape" option and enter in the depth for the thread... that should take care of it.

Edited by: GEAR_HEAD

No, that doesn't work: any value greater than from 2 to 3.5x the thread diameter (depending on the thread size) is rejected as 'value is outside range". I suspect there is a config.pro setting or a tap depth table somewhere that controls this. Perhaps an alternate tap depth tableneeds to be generated and (again) a config.pro variable pathname set to refer to that table.

C'mon GEAR_HEAD, this is Pro/E: itisn't easy to change, nor it simply issue a warning to the user. That would make way too much sense. All the guys at PTC who had 'Easy' buttons defected to SW years ago. All of the programmers with 'Engineers are Idiots' buttons are still there though. Yeah, SW issues a warning in many circumstances when you try to do something that's potentially inadvisable: it doesn't lock you out, allowing you to proceed with a warning. And yeah, you can turn the warnings off too.

I'm not able to reproduce this. Can you post steps or screen shots showing the problem? I'm able to enter any thread depth value less than the hole depth, and the values can be outside the range of 2x - 3.5x the thread diameter.
Edited by: CRang72

The hole depth must be at least the same or longer then the thread dept.
You can't have a longer thread then the depth of the hole, that might be the problem.
I can adjust the thread depth just as Gear Head does, change the hole depth and in "shape" change the thread depth.

Indusign said:
The hole depth must be at least the same or longer then the thread dept.
You can't have a longer thread then the depth of the hole, that might be the problem.
I can adjust the thread depth just as Gear Head does, change the hole depth and in "shape" change the thread depth.

Currently at work I have been working in WF3 fixing up the models of a graduate who recently left on his big OE. In most of his holes that were created in WF2 the thread is the same depth as the drilled hole and the countersink is the same as the major diameter. The curious thing is that sometimes I make the wrong guess as to which is the thread depth and Pro/E actually makes a thread longer than the drilled hole and sometimes it gives me the error message about invalid depth.

DB

I frequently create thread depths beyond 2 to 3.5X the major diameter using the method I stated above (WF3 and WF4). I can make a thread as deep as I want. I like the new features in WF4 for the the drill depth from point or shoulder and new counter bore options.

On a related note, I had to create my own hole table for BS pipe threads in WF2 and 3. does anyone know how to force Pro/E to limit the default thread depth to about 0,75 - 1,0 x major diameter?

Kind of silly having 2x major diameter on a 1" pipe thread which equates to 2,6 inches of thread

DB

Hi DB,

You can alter the ratio of Drill depth to the thread depth using DEPTH_RATIO parameter in the hole table. Generally for metric threads this ratio is set at 1.25.

The drill depth is obtained by multiplying 3 with the core dia or minor dia. I think this is a fixed setting and can not be modified. Can anybody throw some light on this?

Regards,

Anand
Edited by: anand_m_s

Thanks for the tips, guys. I didn't realize you have to tweak the hole depth first. In SW, you don't have to do this: it also realizes the tap drill depth must be greater than or equal to the tapped depth,but itdoes something about it (instead of simplyrejecting the input).

It's nice to know that the Hole Tool has been improved in WF4: perhaps it will finally begin to compare with the Hole Wizard in SW, which has been around for about ten years. Most of the Pro/E users here (about a dozen) simply do not use the Hole Tool because of it's peculiarities. But we can't upgrade to WF4, apparently because we are stuck with Intra/Link 4.3 (which does not support WF4), and it would take a new server (read that money) to upgrade Intra/Link.

Another reason that some users do not use the hole tool is that there are some situations like threads in hollow sections that Pro/E does not handle well and other situations like radial threads on the inside of pipes and major diameters in family tables that no-one's "hole wizard" seems to handle at all

DB

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back