Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Default Names

dalewunderlich

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default
part and assembly name from prt0001.prt and asm0001.asm
to something custom

thanks
dw

I know this is an old post, but I am trying to figure out something very similar. I could not get that setting above to work.

I have2 options I want to explore. either I want the names to default asblank, so the user has to type something in or I want the user to have to change the default name either right away or have them blocked from checking the part/assembly/drawing in with the default name. Any suggestions as to what to look at would be great. Thanks.
Edited by: kgwmu

We are using Creo with Windchill 10, and when a new part is created it won't let you load the template unless you type in a custom part name. Until a name is entered, it just says "<auto generated name>" instead of prt0001.prt. Is this the kind of functionality you want?

I'm not entirely sure why it happens like this. It does revert to the prt0001.prt naming scheme i you disconnect from the server.

Atropos89 said:
We are using Creo with Windchill 10, and when a new part is created it won't let you load the template unless you type in a custom part name. Until a name is entered, it just says "<auto generated name>" instead of prt0001.prt. Is this the kind of functionality you want?

I'm not entirely sure why it happens like this. It does revert to the prt0001.prt naming scheme i you disconnect from the server.

Yes, that is the type of functionality I am going for, but we aren't moving to Creo for while yet. Still using WF4.

Can you just check in a prt0001, prt0002, ... into PDM so they can't create a new file with the same name? Then they have to shift neurons in gear and think about what they want to call the new part.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back