Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Alternative Data Management Software

bcooper

Does anyone know of a data management software, other than PTC's winchill products that will work with Pro Engineer files?

We moved from Intralink 3.0 to 8.0 over a year ago, and now I need to upgrade before I can use WF4.0 (took many months of complaining before I found this out). Anyway, I started looking at the upgrade process and it is as complicated as the origonal install of Intralink 8.0 and that took over a week, the information I got from PTC on this upgrade says to allow 8 to 16 weeks?

The price we pay for mainenance and the complexity of the software is making me question our decision to stick with this package.

Thanks for the lead, I looked at both programs and have requested more information. From first glance they both look a lot less complicated than PTC's solution.

Hi PTC offer a wide range of Data management software which is fare better than other systems like teamcenter productstream etc.

Please have a look at the following softwares either on the PTC website or Google.

Windchill PDM Link, PDM link on demand, Project point, Intralink and product point which is coming out soon and is Sharepoint based, very good piece of software.

Product Center works, thats what I have now. But we'll be moving to MatrixOne next year. I miss my old Intralink....

We've been using Design Data Manager. This is a great piece of software. It works well for anyone who wants to manage multiple CAD products. Most companies who sell data management handle their own files very well, but don't handle others or want to handle others very well. DDM is a CAD neutral solution that has tight integration with the major CAD vendors. The price is very affortable and easy to install and maintain. They have been added some new features in the last couple of maintenance releases. There are a few out of the box featrues that DDM has, like object previews, that other packages need special software or setup. This has been one of the best software purchases that we have ever made.

I have been looking at Design Data Manager, it appears to be considerably more user and administrator friendly than Intralink.

ddm_user; how is the supprt for this product? If you get into a corner and need a solution, the time differene between England and the US could be a big deterent.

We are using DDM. We have used Intralink to manage ProE files and PDMLink to manage other CAD files. We are replacing both Intralink and PDMLink with DDM.

We used Product Center before Intralink. So we have seen and used a lot of different data management software solutions. DDM is a good solution at a great price!

They do have US support people. When we need to use support from England wesometimes get it in the cue before we go home so that we have a response when we come in the next day. If we callin the morning - they are still in the office.

We find the nice thing about dealing with people from England for support is they speak English as their native language!

Does DDM do work flows or change managementwhere representatives from different departments approve the drawings or are notified when a new drawing or revision is released?

A simple and free program we use at several customer sites is Subversion with the TortoiseSVN client. Don't plan on it performing all the functions of a CAD native PDM but you can lock files and it does keep a history.

It is simple free and works well for basic collaboration projects.

Kevin
Edited by: kbrault

The support from CSI - creators of DDM is very good. There is also US support. To be honest your not going to need too much support with this product.

They have a feature called "Routings" which allows for change management and workflows. It is user defineable. You can make it as simple or complicated as you like. You can restrict specific fields to specific values and assign timeouts to a particular step or stage in the routing. So if someone is sitting on the approval or signoff it will send an email back to the previous or original user.

Hi Audctrl,

Design Data Manager has a comprehensive set of Graphical Workflow tools, very extensive permission controls and notification features. All of these functions are easily managed and relatively simple to use.

Max Weston.
Edited by: maxweston

It was brought to my attntion that afte the first of the year, DDm will no longer be able to sell to maintenance paying PTC customers, that are not already DDM customers.

If you have any intrest in becoming a customer, you need to contackt a local rep.

bcooper said:
It was brought to my attntion that afte the first of the year, DDm will no longer be able to sell to maintenance paying PTC customers, that are not already DDM customers.

If you have any intrest in becoming a customer, you need to contackt a local rep.

Can you give a link to find further information on this or your source? My company has been looking into DDM and confirmation on this is essential.

Another attempt by PTC to tilt the playing field in their direction. If this product ever hit the U.S. market like it has in the U.K., PTC would have big problems.

I've heard the same thing as bcooper.

Go to the above web site to contact a sales rep.

Act now - or DDM might be the best darn PDM system you won't get to use!

Anyone had any trouble installing the DDM? Specifically, I can't connect to DDM License Server Administration.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back