Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

double color mold !!

phucxoxo

Hi friends !!
first, i'm so sorry if this question is not about Pro/E question, now i have to study about double color mold. But i still don't have any first step about it, I've try to search on net, but the result is not quite well, so do you know some tutorial or some links about this. thanks so much !!

phucxoxo,

I am assuming you want to mold a component that consists of 2 different colors. First you will need a 2 shot mold press. And second you need to work with a mold builder that has experience with 2 or more shot molds. These are not for the faint of heart. Nypro Mold located near Boston, MA, Tech Mold in Tempe, AZ and Reko Mold in Windsor, Ontario would be good sources of information. Reko is primarily all things automotive when it comes to plastic.

Like Sargecat says. Two color and two material molding is not for the inexperienced. There are numerous ways of doing it, and you have to know what your molder has in the way of injecition molding machines.

Send me a jpeg of the part you're wanting to mold, and I might be able to give some pointers. 10+ years designing injection molds, with numerour two material / two colr designs.

Regardless. Get someone with experience to help you on this.

Hi friends !! sorry for late.
You're right, it is not for the new designer like me, i've just 2 years experience. Double color mold depend on the part, the injecton machine, and so on ..... but your information is interesting. may be 10 years later, i will got it
smiley17.gif
. Thanks so much.

1999, I designed Hp calculator "two material mold with silicon over molding". Those days no one was smart in this area. I could still remember one italian companyexperienced a bit. AnywayWe did it by our selfs andsince then those moldshave beenmolding in Japan. After that this technique became very common and every one using it.

Designing through pro engineer would be so easy, go to my website www.robust-engineering.blogspot.com and see, i am currently demonstrating the way to design two material injection molds for my readers. I took one sample calculator for this demonstration.If you really want to learn I can continue writting on this post and I will show you how to design the molds.
smiley17.gif

Dear Robust (I dont know ur name dear)
Please share your knowledge about this technique. I love to know man. I have 12+ years experiance in injection and extrusion blow mold designing. I designed some of extremely intricate shape or function molds. But as my industry didnt require this, so I didnt even thought to touch it, but as you said, its good if you teach us how to design those molds.

Hi Zaki,

Itwill be pleasure tocontinue that topicfor you. I used try out version to crate those products now it has expired.Ihave been told by PTC that my software is on the way from PTC and I will proceed that task on my blog once I received and set up my Pro engineer software 100%. In the mean time pleasetake time and read about two shot moulding techniques which will be published on myblogwithin couple of days.

smiley20.gif

Robust.

I am back in action now. Some ofmy blog reader from Australia who said to me thathe willgive me a hand to use his Pro mould facilities.He feels that it is an important task to shareour experience as he feels that lots of companies don't arrange trainning due to cost to organize for a PTC trainning. So if we share our experiences and explainthe correct methods so that we can promote Pro mould and its value to our Pro eng users even further.

I just wants take this oppotunityto share my extraordinary tool design manufacturing talents with you.To do this project in a exciting mega scale manner, I would like someone to give me a task, whichshould involve complex splitingand two colour molding. This is theway we could show our pro engineer skills against our real compititors so that they can understand about Pro engineerand its mouldes such as Pro mould

Maybe phucxoxocould initiate by sending a sample to my blog.

Dear Robust,

I am sorry I can't enter your blog.

How is going on?I also hope can learn something from you and share our experience.
smiley17.gif

Amy

The overmolding process involves the use of two separate materials to form one cohesive component. The most common type of overmolding is insert molding. Insert overmolding is an injection molding process where one material (usually elastomeric) is molded “over” a secondary “substrate” material (usually a rigid plastic or object).

Overmolding can add immeasurable value to product design by enhancing the end users experience in terms of comfort, ergonomics, and ease of use. In order to achieve this level of manufacturing there are two important concepts that must be understood for success to take place:

1) Know your materials

The materials used need to be compatible so that your designs attain a high level of molecular adhesion. Know what the melt temperature is of your substrate and overmold. If the melt temperature is lower on your substrate than your overmold material, then you are in for a big problem! Also, if you are using color, make sure your color concentrate is compatible with your other materials and won’t degrade their properties. Using the right materials could make or break your designs.

2) Understand your designs

When designing, you need to consider how much or how little you want your substrate and overmold to stick. Don’t count on the material alone to create the adhesion that you want. To ensure that the components “mesh” well with one another, use mechanical interlocks such as these:chart.jpg

Above info only for your refer.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back