Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Copy Geometry Question

Bob_W

I am using WF2 M180 and am trying to use the Copy Geometry festure to bring a couple edge features from an existing part into a new part to use in creating new features. When intiating Copy Geometry I have the option of choosing to pick edges, surface, and other items when selecting the references to import. But when I pick Edge and select even one edge, it imports the two surfaces that created the edge! I am sure I had done this before but now I don't know what I am doing differently.

As an experiment I modeled a simple cube. Then created a new, empty part and used copy geometry to import one edgefrom the cube into the new part. Even with this I got two surfaces?? If I had wanted surfaces I would have chosen surfaces. Any one know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks;

Bob

i dont have wf2.0 up but in wf4.0 you have the choice of using chain or reference geometry. Chain in this case would be curve edges ect.

Let me find wf2.0

Edited by: design-engine

Bart, Thanks for taking a look. It will produce similar results even if I create a Publish Geometry in the Source part using only edges. They highlight as edges then import as surfaces!

Bob

I found a reference in the help that talks about what is copied when you select items. The example they give is that if you select a surface the edges are implicitly copied with it. Depending on what you select you may end up with additional geometry. I found that selecting the edge of a solid or extruded surface or an import feature that is a solid also copied the surfaces connected to that edge. I also found that selecting the edge of an import feature that is surface import, one surface will be copied. The information was found performing a global search for copy geometry in the section dealing with adavnced assembly.

Workaround...... I am the work around king..... import the surfaces... Use a composite curve on the edges you wanted in the first place. Layer the surfaces off as a skel layer. Done.

Bart:

Since it doesn't seem possible to get just the edges using Copy Geometry (CG), I need to explain what I am trying to do. When we model parts and assy's for manufacturing they contain the full details of the designs, plus being very complex with long regen times. Our customers would like simple models that can be placedinto theirmodels, which have many hundreds ours and of other parts. We also do not want to supply Customer View Models (CVM)with any more detail than required to protect any IP confidential information contained in the models.

If I was able to import edges then no detail other than that edge would be present in the model and it can be used to define sketches used in the re-creation of a single, solid blockmodel. When a CG surface is used itcontains any details of features created on the surface. A simple explanation would be a flat washer for a bolt;the flat surface would show both the OD and ID of the washer even though you may have wanted to show only the OD.In our modelsthose surfaces would showany details of featuresthat would also bepresent interupting that surface.

We have several ways of creating these customer view models(CVM) but I have been looking for the other ways to create them.A method Iam trying now is to create an empty assembly and then createa part within the assembly.Using CG to bring in just enoughsurfaces, datums, points, etc necessary to define references for the new part. Now activate the new component part and create the solid extrusions using the edges or other references brought in with CG. That new component when saved, contains none of the references brought in by CG and can be provided as a stand alone part. Any design changes require the assemlby to be regen'd to pass the changes on to the CVM.

Hope this explains well enough to allow you to make other comments and suggestions. Oh, and Shrinkwrap on our parts is almost totally useless, it is much quicker to remodel a solid block CVM from scratch

Bob

Here is something to consider, it may or may not work well on what you have. Save a copy of your part or assembly to a iges or stp file using the wireframe edges option. Create a part file from the iges or stp and use the curve option in copy geometry to select the wireframe edges you want to create your geometry.

Kdem;

I'll have to try your suggestion, I think it would work. The only thing is, that it would lack any associativity back to the original model. But if it saves time it may be something to consider.

Thanks; Bob

Well.. how about a composite curve in the original model on the edges and then a copy Geom of the composite curves... (Hey Bart, the Composite curves are "Approximate" right?)..... even "Publish" the edges to make it easy for others to identify in the future.

approximate composite is what they are called. Copy on a curve then cntrl-V to past it back ontop of the curve... then add to that selection set. Thats the WF way at least.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back