Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Can anyone flatten this sheetmetal part?

725coupe

I have this part that I made with a forming operation in WF3. But I cannot figure out how to get a flat pattern of it. Can someone please help? or suggest a different way to model it and get a flat pattern?

725coupe said:
I have this part that I made with a forming operation in WF3. But I cannot figure out how to get a flat pattern of it. Can someone please help? or suggest a different way to model it and get a flat pattern?

Try by flatterning the form feature first using form flatern later u can unbendor flattern it.

Suresh

The sitewill not let me upload the file.....

But I did try your idea and had no luck. The form will not flatten with the form flattener. (Strange?)

Yep its strange, coz..practically its very complicated to manufacture such a big formed part.Similiar kind oftiny parts forming can do by pneumatic or hydraulic power press machines, i dont think so pro-e can do. Here Pro-E doesnt recognizes that kind of forming to make flattern form i guess!!!
Edited by: Asho Pulsar

When they manufacture this part they take the flat sheet and make the four bends to form the "hat" shape, then a large die is used to form the large bend.There is large deformation in thesection of the large radius.Is there a different way to model this other than using a form in sheetmetal? I am down to using this formedpart and creating a flat instance that is just a flat sheetmetal part and driven by calculations using the formed shape. That way I keep it as parametric as I can.

725coupe said:
When they manufacture this part they take the flat sheet and make the four bends to form the "hat" shape, then a large die is used to form the large bend.There is large deformation in thesection of the large radius.Is there a different way to model this other than using a form in sheetmetal? I am down to using this formedpart and creating a flat instance that is just a flat sheetmetal part and driven by calculations using the formed shape. That way I keep it as parametric as I can.

Is there any kind of machine doa bend of bent sheetmetal part? Plz show me a pics of that kind of machine.

[/QUOTE]

Is there any kind of machine doa bend of bent sheetmetal part? Plz show me a pics of that kind of machine.

[/QUOTE] Dear Ashok,

There is nothing difficult in the product. There are many machine manufacturers in India who can do it. Basically you need a Wrap around type of machine that will bend it without wrinkles forming on the compression flange. Another method is stretch forming, where in the component is stretched (to induce tensile load) which effectively shifts the NA to prevent wrinkles.

You can find more reading material on the net.

Michael,

That is exactly what I was looking for. That was so simple, that I feel foolish for not figuring that out myself.

Thank you!!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back