Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Embedded / grouped sketches

SW

I'd be grateful if someone could help me remember one of the Pro/E basics. I'm trying to create a sketch that is automatically grouped with the feature in Wildfire 3. I must be going tired because I can't get it too work. I thought I just need to start the feature then hit the sketch icon and Pro/E would group the two. At the risk of appearing a bit stupid, would someone remind me?

Also, at the risk of appearing stupid, is there anyway to embed the sketch within the feature and being able to drag it outside the feature later? I know the old make-datum debate but was wondering if you can now do this with sketches in the same way that you can with datum features?

Cheers,

Sam

You have to create an internal sketch to accomplish the first item. This should be easy: just don't have a sketch active when you hit the feature creation icon.

The answer to your second question is basically NO: this isn't SolidWorks. But you can create a sketch, exit the sketch, then create an internal sketch during feature creation by copying the elements of the first sketch. The original sketch will remain, even if you delete the feature.However, this is of no practical use, since this is basically exactly what happens when you don't use a (strictly) internal sketch.

I hope I confused you. It sounds like you needed it.

smiley5.gif

Thanks for the help, but I'm still struggling.

The first thing was to try and get the sketch to be grouped with the main feature, not embedded within in it. Of course, I can group the two features afterwards, but I used to be able to create the feature in a way that automatically created a group, but I seem to have lost the touch.

Secondly, I can do this with datum features, but can't manage to drag the sketch in and out of the feature, in the way described on the ptcuser link for datum planes.

Any suggestions?

Sam

An external sketch WILL NOT be automatically grouped with the feature if you are using it to create your feature.Datums-on-the-fly ARE grouped during the feature. But Wildfire is not doing anything you couldn't do. You can manually group thr feature and then hide the curve sketch or datum or whatever it is you wanted to be grouped with your feature. You CAN drag datum features or your curve sketch out of the local group but you need to be casreful how you do it. Depending upon where you place your cursor in the model tree depends on whether it is successful or not.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back