Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Copying of drawing with part

jfixsen

It used to be that if you did a "save a copy" of a part that had a drawing, it would save the drawing as well. I know that I've done this in the past with my previous employers, but it doesn't seem to work at my current job. I can't seem to find a config.pro setting or anything.

We are running WF3.0 and PDMLink 8.0.

Thanks!

<H1>rename_drawings_with_object</H1>
none, part, assem, both
Controls whether the system automatically copies drawing files associated with the part or assembly object types. The drawing files must have the same name as their objects.
none

Well, I set the config.pro to "both", and it still doesn't seem to copy the drawing with the part. Maybe it's something in Windchill PDMLink that it forbidding it from working.

I have my config.pro set to both, but it only seems to work for parts. When I try to copy an assy, the drawing is not brought alongwith the selected parts. Any ideas?

I started this thread like two years ago, and I still can't get it to work. I have my config.pro rename_drawings_with_objects to 'both' and I have disable_search_path_check to 'no'. When I open a part in Pro/E, and do a 'Save a Copy' it still only copies the part and not the drawing. When you're talking about setting the names the same, where are you talking about? It gives me the existing MODEL NAME, and I set the NEW NAME, but there is nothing about the drawing in that dialog box.

Is the drawing in the same directory as the part? In the directory that you opened the part from is the drawing in that same directory.

So as an example, you have a directory with 12345.prt.1 and 12345.drw.1 in it. You open only the part and then select from the file menu "Save A Copy" and it has "Model Name" 12345.PRT and "New Name" is blank and "Type" is set to "Part (*.prt). Then you type in "12345b" into the space next to "New Name" and then select "OK". Now you look in that same directory and it should have 12345.prt.1, 12345.drw.1, 12345b.prt.1 and 12345b.drw.1 if everything worked correctly.

If this doesn't work then you might be right about PDLink preventing it from happening. I'm doing it without PDMLink and it works fine.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm doing. What I've been doing, which is more work is checking the part and drawing I want to copy into PDMLink, finding them on the server, selecting both and doing a "save as" on the server. Then I have to check out the new part and drawing into my workspace and do the modifications to it. We currently are using PDMLink 8.0 and WF3.0, but will be moving to PDMLink 9.1 and WF4.0, and I tested it on that system as well, and Pro/E still won't copy the drawing along with the part.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back