Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Third Degree or First Angle Projection

Would you rather get the 3rd Degree, or a 1st Angle Projection?

• 3rd Degree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1st Angle Projection

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
We use both. Third angle projection makes more sense to me, but I really don't care. Maybe this is what originally caused the steering wheel location problem for the Brits.

Hi Guys,

I work for a German company in Canada with customers mostly form USA.....Officially everything seems to be metric with 1st angle, however many companies uses imperial with 3rd angle projection.
All internals are in metric, but when it comes to outsourcing...it depends.
Since I came from Europe, my favourite is the metric with 1st angle, but there is no issue using imperial with fractions or decimals with 3rd angle...... just have to ORIENT your brain accordingly.

metric with 1st angle for me
smiley14.gif

Third angle projection is correct. This goes back to descriptive geometry and laying out parts by hand in 2D. A person creating the third view requires the other two view in order to create its project. Recall, values and distances are obtained from a reference plane in the first view. The second view projects points, but it is truely the first view that gives z axis depth. Just a thought.

It's not a question of being correct. Both conventions are correct. I started hand drawing 1st angle projection before I ever was taught anything. It never even occurred to me there could be a "3rd" way to do it. However, everything I make these days is 3rd angle metric.

On the tangential subject of units that has opened up, how about length of wire in MFT. I thought it was a mega-foot when I found it as the length unit for oil industry wireline, but it turns out an MFT is 1000 feet. Maybe the "M" comes from the Roman numeral...

Sam

First angle to me makes more sense, but third angle makes more sense on a drawing. The arrangement of (i.e. the top view) actually being on top, just makes sense.

I think I could adjust to First Angle, but I believe Third Angle is the more logical (as it is presented as unfolding a box). As far as metric, I think I would prefer metric. In our industry, we use decimal increments of the inch. Wouldn't it be nice to havedecimal increments throughout the entire measurement system - I think so. Some of the metric driven parts are using an equivalent of an increment based on the inch. A good example is electronic connectors that have 2.54 (.100 in.) pin spacing. I hate dealing with fractions that run on. Some designers assume thata dimension of .13 will be typed into the NC program as .125. This is a small risk- until you work on a unit that has thisassumption multiplied ten times.

Now, about football.From what I have read, soccer is the grandpa of American, Rugby, Australian, and whatever type of football there is. It originated as a game played by kicking the ball. Variations from only kicking the ball to move it down thefieldgave rise to the new versions of football. I think American football has migrated the furthest from the use of the foot. Even when it is used for punt, field goal, extra point, the result is: you lose possession. I think they should all remain as football, and they are all fun sports to play and watch.

There's about as much chance of us changing to the metric system as there is of you changing to our system.
smiley2.gif

Howdy, this has been an excellent informative article! I definitely appreciate all of your wisdom. Thanks alot : )!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back