Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Family Table

Srini,

regardless of Whatever view we save in child parts.....it follows the generic only.

Could u give me some other idea.

i am wondering, what made you think this way?? what is the requirment for this kind of wish?

what i can say is save the orientation required by all the instances in generic. say view-a, vew-b... and whenever you open the instance set the required view. (can try MAPKEY for this)

Sorry Riyaz,

Tried but was not sucessful. The solution may lie in creating a view for each instance and setting Tools > Environment>Orientation > User defined...

If I create the views in the generic instance, then orient the part to this view in the instance I want, this works fine: opening the instance has it in the desired orientation. I don't know what the problem is. Sound seasy, and it seems to be just that. Try it again.

I did not attempt to create the views with in any non-genericinstance. Perhaps this is your problem.

we can think in anather way

if the model is not so complecated

then u can rearrange features while making instances so as to get apropreate views

[eg. if you have extrude cut in front view of generic, make such changes in dimensions for extrude in the instance, such that in the same view the part will be seen as back view, (or any other desired view)]

i dont hav time now....

i can give you example when i will manage toget some time..

BR

Mahesh

If you are really desperate to do this.

Views always follow the surfaces they reference. Use that to your advantage.

Create a datum plane (front) that runs thru an axis or edge, and is at an angle to another reference. Use that plane when selecting the front plane of the view definition. Make sure that the top reference pane is normal to the axis used. It's best if the axis chosen runs thru the geometric center of the part.

Then tabulate the angle of the front plane on a per instance basis. The view referencing the front plane will reorient with each instance.

I suspect this is needed for some kind of (semi ?) automated generation of drawings

Edited by: gkbeer

Simi automated control could mean:

Make a tabulated part, it could be as simple as a flange with a keyed hole that is at different angles to the hole pattern in the flange.

Create a drawing of the first instance. Including views that are orthogonal to the key slot.
Copy the drawing and swap out the instance.
If the views aren't setup to follow the orientation of the key slot, the key slot details won't render correctly.

Dear Glenn,

my doubts were not on the possibility of automation, but on the Original Intent or wish.

I still cannot understand the original intent.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back