Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Cuts in Assm not seen in part models

k_b_asher

Dear Friends,
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I could comfortably create assembly cuts on components & see them when I open individual model files. But something strange has happens sometimes, Ido notsee the assembly cuts in the models when I activate them on assembly or open them individually. A dialog box pop ups telling

I use WF2.

Activate the part in the assembly before using the feature. Any cuts made at the assembly level will appear only in the assembly and will not apply to the part.

e.g. making a dowel hole after assembling the two parts. Here the dowel hole is the assembly cut which typically done on assembly.

RGC137 is correct. You have the option in the assembly feature creation to see the cut at the part level or only at the assembly level.

Creating part level assembly cuts can cause problems so I try to avoid them whenever possible. I don't even like assembly level cuts because they prevent you from doing merge and cutout features but sometimes you need them.

I am afraid You want see them all until You make cut out option. It is like that because Pro\E assumes you want this cuts only in assembly level. Not in real part.

Imagine it in this way - You have a database system(PDM), and you store there an assembly with two plates. These paltes are drilled in assembly mode, but each of these paltes is not drilled directly in part mode. With this option you have advantage to still have original part with no holes in database, so another guy can use it different assembly without creating special number for this plate.

So if you want to create cuts in assembly mode and you want them in part as well, make it by cut out.

SUPPOSE YO ASSEMBLE A PIN ON A PLATE .

ASSUME THAT PIN HAS NO HOLE

GO TO EDIT MENU---COMPONENT OPERATION ---CUTOUT

IT WILL CUT THE PLATE USING THE PIN CROSSSECTION

SAKSHAM 9310527479 , [email protected]

How to control display of assembly cuts by using.
Edit Definition
or
Intersect

When you create an assembly cut there is an option for what you want the feature to intersect and where you want the cut to be displayed Top Level, Part Level, Sel Level. You will find an Intersect option on the dashboard which has a simple dialog attached to it.
The default option is TopLevel and proe will AutoIntersect all parts that the feature goes through. Pro/E used to prompt the user for intersection before completing an assembly cut before Wildfire.

Now to access this functionality you must select the

Intersect Tab on the Dashboard to tell proe where you wan't the cut to be shown.

To get what you want you can Redefine the feature and select Intersect

So to fix your cut display you can select the feature and choose
Edit Definition or Intersect.

In both cases converting the Intersection from top level to Part Level is basically the same.
1. Uncheck the Auto Update option2. Select the parts you want to show the cuts at part level3. Right Click choose from options displayed Top Level, Part Level

If you use Intersect it will be quicker and use a slightly different dialog window then the one on the Dashboard and has different names for some of the buttons. You may also be able to see a bug that I found.

Bug
When you select a Part that has Part Level as the option it displays Top Level as Top Leve.
Intersect Bug

I'd be interested in knowing if you also see the bug I described.

Michael

Edited by: mjcole_ptc

anyone know how to make an assembly cut default to "part level"? everything we do needs to be at part level for programming purposes.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back