Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

basic sheet metal box

AHA-D

All,

Let's say you start with a rectangular sheet. Then you add a flange at one side. Next you want to add a flange to the other side of the corner. ProE only gives the options to put material to the inside or the outside of the base sheet, so you end up with a rip in the corner, like in attached image.

How to create this corner that you have no rips ? Basically having the sheet stay flat as designed and add flanges whith walls AND ROUNDS to the outside, so that no ripping is necessary in the corner.

ALexView attachment 3636

You can create a flat wall from the bottom surface with zero bend (coplanar with base) and then add a bend anywhere relative to the existing folds.

Or you can create a Flange (I shape) rather than a flat with thickness on the outside of the bend and bend on the outside.

You can start with a solid box of the correct shape and then create a sheetmetal conversion: this works similar to creating a shell in solid mode. Createedge rips in all four corners (you can also add corner reliefs).

I am sure there are other ways including a "correct" way.
smiley36.gif

(Let me know if you find it or if anyone else knows)...

Check this out...

Create a flat wall of the correct size/shape of the base.

Select the Flange tool and select one edge, then hold down Shift and select the surface of the base: all the surrounding edges will be selected (Smart Select)and walls are created on each edge.

They mentioned that this could be done (in two steps as discussed) and this seemed to work so it might be the correct way
smiley36.gif

Try it with multiple sides: with external folds it's OK but it will actually do what you tell it to do and create walls on top of walls if you have internal folds:

View attachment 3640

jraquet said:
Check this out...

Create a flat wall of the correct size/shape of the base.

Select the Flange tool and select one edge, then hold down Shift and select the surface of the base: all the surrounding edges will be selected (Smart Select)and walls are created on each edge.

I guess you are talking about something like this:

[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33 503&PN=1[/url]

I didn't tried this without round corners, don't know if it's working

Jraquet,

The method you described to get walls all around the edges using shift is a WF3 sheetmetal improvement. The result will improve how the walls mate at the corner reliefs.

cheers,

M

Think I like the cutouts (KW)best, but would do so after the first flange to be able to attach the cutout to the applied radius for the bends. Needs some "use edge" though to attach to the start of the bend.

The running-around flange is definitely a WF3 thing.

Alex

The demo I saw of sheetmetal in WF3 certainly seems to have improved functionality. I'm on WF2 at present and the cuts method is the best I can come up with. I've expanded on this idea in the attached file. It's more fiddly butyou get a good neat corner with no gaps. The final bent-up form could be rivetted or welded.

2007-05-23_050719_box.zip

I'd be interested to see if anyone has an alternative method for this sort of thing.

If You want the corners shown in sanjeevkar1's image try this method.Your firstfeature should be an unattached extruded wall. This feature should have 3 sides. I usually draw my sketch with square cornersan add the edge bends as a second feature. After you add the edge bends create a flat wall. Delete thedefault lines for the wall and sketch your ownusing the use edge command. Pick thebottom surfacewhere the bend would be, then select the edgesof the first walls created in the first feature.Thentrim extend the lines and delete the line you created on the bend line. This will create a wallwith the edges on the first features egde and the end point of the line at the bottom intersection of the existing wall and the bend line of the new wall.It sound like a lot to do to make a simple square box but its pretty fast after you do a few of them. This method works for me better then the extend wall that our training class used.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back