Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

MANAGEMENT PROGRAMS

SKYBLUE

I JUST WENT THROUGH A 3 HR. HARD SELL FROM PTC FOR THEIR WINDCHILL PROGRAM. THE THING COST AN ARM AND A LEG. WE'RE A SMALL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT TWO SEATS AND WINDCHILL IS ALOT OF OVERKILL AS FAR AS WE'RE CONCERNED. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON OTHER PROGRAMS THAT WOULD HELP WITH PRO-E DATA MANAGEMENT?

Sky,

There is another thing I have seen floating about, a program called Aras (search for it here and on Eng-Tips....actually come to think of it look at this thread, the guy responding works for them....

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=179979&page=1)

Can't give you any recommendations myself on that PDM, but at least you have a guy to talk to there if you want

Kev
Edited by: prohammy

Sky,

If you do decide to have a look at these ARAS guys will you post what you think of them on this site for others to have a look at as well.

Cheers

Kev

Sky,

Look atthe bottom of Hacks post above, that is correct. You can still use Intralink beyond that date but there will be no support, no future enhancements etc from PTC....makes me wonder if somebody will buy Intralink once PTC are shot of it.....

Kev

I doubt it. Nobody bought Pro/PDM when PTC discontinued it.

We still use Pro/PDM 3.7 for our 2001 files.

True Ben, hadn't thought of that.....

Come to think of it, I'd be very surprised if PTC would hand such a large chunk of business to anyone....It still surprises me that they are casting all the Intralink guys adrift.

Kev

But PTC does have an uograde path for Intralink 3.x users, it is to Intralink 8 or PDMLink 8..
smiley36.gif

Guess I better quit drink the Kool-aid from the PTC vending machine!

I don't understand why PTC don't offer a simple basic package of Intralink, where all is setup with basic parameters, usergroups, templates and formats. That would be real simple to do for Intralink. The the companyes can use it as it is or make some changes to it. In intralink 3.x it is simple to do. Install from cd's in default folders, and import a dumplife and change the dataserver and fileser from a sqlscript. This way it wouls be cheap to implement in smalle sites. A installation like this must be possible to do from a DVD with a simple setup interface.

I don't know what is possible to do in Intralink 8, but it must be possible to somethin in the same way. At least the can offer a vmware image with the latest release. I know they already do make vmware images of pdm/link for demon and internal use.

I do not think Intralink is expensive, but if you also have to pay for consultion....

Hacks said:
and, of course, PTC also offers Pro/Intralink but support for it will
end in June of 2008.

Is that all versions, or just 3.x? Our dealer led us to believe that Pro/Intralink support would be available for a long time because many users had still not upgraded to version 8.

My understanding is that it's all versions of Intralink pre-8.0.

I can't imagine PTC not supproting 3.X while continuing to
support 2.X and/or 1.X.

You dealer was either not being truthful, has been misinformed
about 3.X support or was refering to support for Intralink 8.0, which,
I'm sure, will continue to have support for several years to come.
Edited by: Hacks

As long as your PTC maintenance has not been active for the last two years, DesignDataManager (DDM) is an option for managing Pro-E CAD file data.

If you have not yet purchased a Pro-E license, due to an agreement with PTC, you must become a DDM customer first before purchasing an active PTC license. Refer to this MCAD link for details: [url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38 154&PN=1&TPN=2[/url]

DDM also manages other CAD platforms (SolidWorks, SolidEdge, Inventor, etc.) as well as Pro-E. Although reference to Pro-E is removed from the DDM website, it is still integrated and supported through Pro/Toolkit.

Edited by: c_thompson_68

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back