Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wildfire 4.0 Beta coming out

Moroso

Has anyone heard when Wildfire 4.0 beta will be out?

It's that time of the year
smiley4.gif

Unfortunately we haven't yet updated our maintenance, and so cannot access a lot of the PTC website features. We are currently on WF3 date code M40. Can someone tell me what the latest available date code is?
Thanks
Shaun

<DIV>
Supposedly, WF4 is when PTC will finally eliminate all of the remaining right-side menus. I certainly hope this is true, especially for modules like Pro/Legacy andPro/Process for Manufacturing.
My bigger concern is Intralink. Recently, PTC stated that Intralink 3.X would not be updated to support WF4. Therefore, a move to Intralink 8 or 9 will be required.</DIV>

gerrychampoux said:
<DIV>
Supposedly, WF4 is when PTC will finally eliminate all of the remaining right-side menus.

What's left out there on the right - helical sweep is the only one I can think of, tho I don't use ProMan</DIV>

I'd like to see how they are going to eliminate all the right-side menus. There is still plenty of functions that use those menus. Go to Edit, Setup in a part...the initial wall creation in sheet metal...plenty of drawing menus...changing colors...the list goes on.

I would really like to see those done away with as well, but I just don't see it happening any time soon.

At PTC/User last year, PTC stated thatALL functions that currently use the menus will NOT be eliminated. They said that WF4 will address drafting and WF5 will address Pro/Man, but there are some functions that will still require the menus as there is no practical method to move them to dashboard style interface.

Also consider that by the time WF5 is released in late 2008+, it will have been almost 6 years since Wildfire1 was released. Changes in technology, programming tools, competitive reasons and other factors could drive PTC into thinking about a newer interface design.

As long as they get rid of the totally useless Resolve feat Menu manager and the Window that tells you what you could easily figure out for your self. They made nice changes to this functionality in some areas but other things are just A-- Backwards.

"Do you want to exit Resolve Feature Mode?" What do you think Pro/E? The only time I ever clicked No was by mistake. I think that Pro/E's selection tool or 5 selection tools depending on what mode you're in absolutely suck. I used to think the multiple point selection tools in UG were annoying but it does take a lot of effort and even planning to update functionality as drastically as Wildfire and UGNX have.

Michael

Edited by: mjcole_ptc

I think they don't want to invest money developing Pro\E.
Just enough to say "Hey guys, we have a new release!
Pay for mantainance!!!"
smiley2.gif

I wrote a bad emal to a PTC/manager in Italy. Just saying to start moving... NO ANSWER!

What do you think?
smiley5.gif

Today is my second day using WF 4.0 C000 and finding it quite stable and quite a few new things. Its fully compatible with Vista. Autoround is better. There are newer things in assembly mode. After you activate a part in assembly mode all other components grey out. Drawing mode is improved.

Israr

Hi, just joined. Have tried out some of the newer functions in Wildfire 4.0. The remove tool is pretty handy. Should save lots of time with this tool, esp. those dealing primarily with lots of imported data, like toolmakers. Also, IDD has been revamped/sexified, but really haven't gotten into that yet.

The remove tool is available in WF 3.0 if you set the config option.

all_tmp_rmv_srf_feat yes

It is very handy with imported data.

I commiserate all people who invest its money in training or update for WF 3.0. If it appears that WF 4.0 is really bada..., awsome tool, well, all again from start.
smiley19.gif

If belive in all advertisement, each new release should be easier to deal with than previous one, and quicker to learn. Well, this is theory. The truth is different from this statement. In general, for enginner like I am it is good that the envelope is still pushed higher and higher. I am not staying in one point. However, to be really profit in Pro\e with all new funcs it offers, 3 to 6 month have to pass. And then new release....and all again from start.

The new realeses offers not as many required changes as it is excpected. The result is that the place for books on my shelves won`t suffice for long
smiley11.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back