Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/INTRALINK 8 - A Big Step Backwards?

I did download, install and configure the DDM trial today. In less then three hours I was creating, saving to, searching and retrieving files from DDM. I do think it would take a few good weeks of working with it to more fully understand the inner workings and behavior before being able properly configure it. Intralink 8.0 took me about 2 weeks and 5 trys to get to the same point and I was looking at least a few good months before being able to properly configure it.

When using Intralink 3.4 with Pro/ENGINEER you effectively have 3 distinct working areas: CommonSpace, WorkSpace and In-Session. DDM seems to only have Workbench and In-session, with the workbench being part of the common vault. Is this an accurate depiction?

Can the Common vault be browsed like a standard file system?

Is there some sort of folder structure in the common vault?

When objects are removed from the workbench or project folders where do they go?

Can model attributes be automatically passed to DDM when saving a model file?

We have some toolkit applications that will retrieve specified models. If the model is not in the current workspace it is automatically retrieved from the commonspace with no additional handling. Same as if you clicked File >open and typed in the full model name.

Would toolkit apps like this work with DDM?

How can a model be replaced in DDM? One possible way with Intralink is to create a new model in session, rename in-session to an existing name that is in the workspace and then save over top. In DDM I get a message that the object exists and I cannot overwrite.

Can this be overridden?

What would the recommended path or procedure be to migrate objects from Pro/INTALINK to TDM and keep everything intact? 200K+ objects

If you start up DDM Pro with Pro/ENGINEER and you start up DDM Office is that using 2 licenses or 1?

To answer some questions:
1. The worckbench is not a fysical directory on the file system. It's a database table which keeps track where files are reserved. The fysical files remains in its place but the DB specifies the workbench where it is locked/referenced.
2. You can define all kind of folders en create links beteen them
3.When you remove files from the workbench, only a DB-field is being cleared. The fysical file has never been moved.
4.There is a mechanisme to map ProE parameters to DDM parameters and you can define wihich application is leading.
5.DDM does not expose it's API. I've written myself some J-Link applications that can communicate with a webservice. This webservice can perform some actions directly on the DB of DDM (mostly quering for info).
6. You can do the same in DDM but you have to copy over a parameter from the origional model to the replacing model (EL_UID)
7.A DDMpro licence is a licence for office and ProE at the same time. You can also buy only a DDM office

Best regards

My company is about to deploy V8 in a few weeks. We already use an earlier erison of PDMLink

Tuning makes a HUGE difference!

This is a different piece of software from early intralinkso you ned to work differently/smarter!

The key is not to clog up your workspace with lots of lines of data! The more lines of data, the slower the system gets..

Why download an assembly of 3000 objects when you only need to work on a dozen or so parts from the assy?

From a blank workspace, press open in proe. enter the name of the assy, then hit Open Rep, select the name of the rep.

the result is you get a top level assy in you workspace, but only a dozen orso objects exist as this is all that is in the rep...!

We utilise TDD and personal assys, this makes a huge difference..

using link onlyinstead of a regular downlaod, is neither here nor there...it is all about lines in the workspace..if you have 3000 objects of metadata only, every time you want to view the data, you need to get that data from the server...it all takes time

we found tuning madeapprox. 3:1 improvement

--> saymo: Tuning PDMLink..... How?? We are using PDMLink 8.0 and finds it slow compared to our previous Intralink 3.4 setup.

saymo:

you say that you get a 3:1 improvement, how is your installation now compared with 3.4? PTC tell us that 8 is faster than 3.4 is that true?

Our main issue is with checking in, we know about reps and so forth but we have been sent some assemblies with approx 1500 parts in and need to check them in together in one hit.

Dear All,

It is interesting toread your comments on DesignDataManager and I do not normally contribute to the various forums but I would like to make a slight correction in that not only is DDM available for free trial download online from www.designdatamanager.com but as you will see from the web site your first licenses is free of charge.

I do not think I am breaking any of the forum rules here as I am not passing an opinion mearly clarifying a previous comment.

Best regards to all

Joe McBurnie
Managing Director (CEO)
Concurrent Systems Inc Ltd (CSI-DDM)

khkh

tuningis done by running the system and timing the relaitve actions, ie check in download, upload etc.

then the oracle databse is 'tuned' by PTC and you run the series of tests again, and note the times down.

kdmgooner

we never used intralink prior to V8 we used an earlier verison of PDMLink.

However, checking in files to PDMLink form PDMLink is a two part stage.

First is to initiaite the checkin, and the system builds a list informing you of what it will check in and what it wont check in.

then the second part is the checkin. If the list builiding takes a long time then you should initiate the check in from proengineer using File>Auto Check in. This way it does not build the list and goes straight to the check in. Pre-req of using this method is that your workspace context is set correctly or you check into the wrong folder. This is the rpefferred method in my company for checking in.

smiley32.gif

Well the answer is certainly to go for the tuning. We have just had ours done (not by PTC but our re-seller) and performance gains are massive bringing PDM Link up to the speed of 3.4 and even beating it on some tasks. We also added the microsoft hotfix to quicken up the client XP browser and I am starting to believe in PDM Link again. What was taking 90 secs to check in now takes 15 secs, a single object was taking a minute to check in, its now 2 secs, 1400 objects checking in was taking over 30 mins now takes 10 mins and so on. Checking out is also quicker.

smiley7.gif

Although much happier now I still maintain that you should be able to install withoutthen having to go through this grief and extra expense. It should work properly "out of the box" but I guess that its water under the bridge now.

Although much happier now I still maintain that you should be able to install withoutthen having to go through this grief and extra expense. It should work properly "out of the box" but I guess that its water under the bridge now.

exactly!...good marketing ploy by PTC maybe?

some upgrade though....!! cant do it on your own, you need ptc to do it at ridiculous rates....what do we pay our maintenance for exactly??

ptc need to get their act together...quickly!

I still think 10 minutes is unacceptable to check in 1400 objects. Intralink 3.3 was not this poorly performing. A system should not need all this tuning just to get adequate performance. What happens if a server goes down and needs reformatting? You have to go through all this again?

PTC need to have a good look at performance of their superior 'Windchill' products and their claims about about performing the old Oracle based Intralink 3x and all the functionality they took out. I can now not delete family table instances. I am stuck with them.

Phil

Really its very difficult in PDM 8 to make the changes in parameters. It was very simple in Intralink 3.4. We are not finding any solution.

I suggest you peoples to think again if your planning to migrate from 3.4 to 8.

Suresh

The company I'm currently working with has decided to move past Intralink 8.0 after reviewing it's lack of capabilities and immaturity. Now we are in the midst of implementing PTC's PDMLink 9.0 with project Link to replace the existing home made database manager and Intralink 3.4.
Wish us luck!

If I may add my few pence...

I am an experienced user of Pro/Engineer and have used it without a PDM system, with Intralink 3.x and then PDMlink.

In comparison I would prefer Intralink over all alternatives, however, when moving to a start up company just over a year ago, Intralink was not available so was "forced" to implement PDMlink. What a mistake! A small company does not have the resources to justify dedicated system admin, and that's what PDMlink needs. I quickly looked for an alternative. It may well be a good overall package but too complex to administer.

DDM came on the scene and their organisation is eficient and the product robust and well supported.

Given the choice I would still go for Intralink 3.x as any 3rd party package only works through the links published by PTC (for example, you have to rename objects whilst the complete assy is in session).

Now in another start-up scenario, I have taken the plunge and invested in DDM so look forward to getting the hang of things.

One word of caution though... the take up on DDM must be huge as I have to wait nearly 3 months lead time for training. This is a PDM solution in demand.

Try it,
smiley1.gif

Hi,

DDM is a very good product and getting better all the time, why is this? Well after dealing with the DDM people for three years now and witnessing their commitment not only to the product but more importantly to their customers I am totally convinced that I made the right choice.

I have used Intralink from its inception right up to and including3.4 and have no complaints with Intralink at all but the reality is Intralink is dead. Give DDM a shot for 45 days (it's free) and make up your own mind.

Max Weston.

Are you using Intralink 3.x and PTC is pushing you to go to9.0??? Surround yourself with crosses and shoot them if theycome closer!

Here is my experience withIntralink 9.0 ....

If youinstall it your first thought will bethat it isn't compatible with your current windows operating system. Like the Lennox version was installed by mistake or something. It is VERY slow and cumbersome. Seems to have a mind of its own!

Once you learn the correct version was installed you will get mad at the personwhoinstalled it. Its like WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO US? It has potiential to distroy friendships!

Your second thoughtwill bewhy would PTC design something that has the potiential to putthem AND yourcompany out of business???

Then you will think....OK maybe its me (the person who wanted it will say that) so youuse it for a while longer.After a few months you willsee that it still sucks and will learnthat everyone else thinks that too.

If you work in a demanding work enviourment your raises will sufferbecause you aren't as productive as you were on intralink 3.x!

Less experienced users won't be as critical but its my opinion they have nothing to compare to and are using this opportunity to suck up to the boss.

Eventually your boss will get tired of hearing people complain about intralink 9.0 and ask the system admin to find a solution. He will not unless he finds someone to rewrite the code making it equal to intralink 3.x.

At some point your frustrations will be so great you will start thinking of moving on to a company that uses another CADD system or find ways to retire early!

Iwould say these are my OPINIONS but this is the actual way itplayed out for us!

Have a nice day...
Edited by: AMAZZZED

We switched to Ilink 8.0 from 3.3 1.5 years ago. It took 8-9 month to get use to it. We had experienced all of the issues you mention in the topic. It was a nightmare for a while.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back